36. Texting

I try to forget about yesterday. Anytime I think of Will's face in pain I want to cry, and anytime I think of Ethan, I want to beat him with a stick. Anger and sadness are not a good combination. I focus more on my Christmas present.

This weekend. I have butterflies just thinking about it. This weekend I'll be showing up to World of Art's exclusive show as Will Hastings' date.

And I have nothing to wear.

I do own a few dresses, but they were all purchased for fewer than thirty dollars. This is a black tie event. Almost everyone involved in World of Art is rich, which means everyone will be wearing thousand dollar dresses with jewelry to match. I'm going to stand out like a sore thumb.

I saved up all my Christmas money, which came to around two hundred dollars. Maybe I can find something decent with that. It still won't be up to the standards of everyone else, but I might be able to blend in. It just makes it worse standing next to Will. No doubt he'll be dressed beautifully and my heart beats fast just thinking about it. I never see Will in anything besides jeans and sweatpants and I'm extremely looking forward to seeing him dressed up.

"Kira, do you have anything that doesn't fall into the category of short and tight?" I ask once all my clothes have been thrown onto my bed.

"That's my specialty Jessi. I've got nothing worthy of a World of Art event."

Even Kira and Avery knew what World of Art was when I told them what I needed a dress for. It took a day before I convinced them that I wasn't joking about going to the annual show.

"Maybe you should rent something," Avery suggests. "The kinds of people at those events have eyes like a hawk. You're not going to be taken seriously in anything less than Gucci."

"I didn't think there was much above Gucci," I say honestly. I really don't know much about fashion, but I do know that a dress from JC Pennys isn't going to cut it.

"We'll go shopping tomorrow!" Avery says excitingly. I told Will we would study after class tomorrow, but I honestly don't hang out with Avery and Kira enough. I'm at least at Will's house four times a week.

"That'd be great," I say giving her my best smile. "Let me just text Will."

"You guys are attached at the hip," Kira says grabbing her car keys. They make these comments all the time, so I just roll my eyes and look around my bed for my phone.

"Are you both going out?" I ask. Neither of them are dressed for a party. It's only Tuesday. They normally have parties on Thursdays and Fridays, but you never know with them.  

"I'm going to dinner with my Dad and I'm dropping off Avery at the library on the way."

I widen my eyes at Avery. I don't think she's ever step foot in the library.

"I'm meeting someone there," she says with a small smile applying more lip-gloss in the mirror.

"Of course."

"Do you want me to take you anywhere?" Kira asks.

"No, thanks," I reply curling up on my bed. "Have fun."

They both say goodbye and head out the door. They really are the best roommates I could ask for, but it's also nice having the room to myself for a little while.

I find my phone under the pillow and text Will.

From: Jessi To: Will

I'm sorry. I can't study tomorrow. I'm going out with Kira and Avery. I'll see you in class though:)

There's a response in two seconds.

From: Will To: Jessi

What do you mean by "going out"? -Will