93. It's Not A Game To Me

Will’s POV

“So what is this exactly?” Jessi asks as I button up my dress shirt.

“Just a formal meeting to announce Jack’s retirement.” I should be getting ready in the bathroom, but with Jessi sitting cross-legged on my bed, I can’t help but to be in here.

“Is that what Vinny called to talk to you about yesterday?”

“Yeah.” I find my wallet, though I doubt I’ll need it, and shove it into my back pocket. “The decision has already been made and the contracts have already been filled out. I already read over a copy of the contract before you came over yesterday. I just need to sign it today. I shouldn’t be more than a two hours. Tie or no tie?” I ask holding a handful up for her to see.

“Do you ever wear a tie?” she asks with a sideways smile.

“You’re right. No tie.” I throw the snake-like pieces of fabric back into the drawer and rub my fingers threw my hair to try and tame it a little. “You never told me how your interview went this morning.”

She seems surprised that I remembered. Does she not know that I basically remember everything about her? I’d be able to recite her class schedule off the top of my head if she asked.

“I think it went really well. They’ll call me back by the end of the week.”

“You don’t have to get a job.”

I don’t want her spending more time away from me.

“Yes, I do. I need to pay back my family. They’re probably having trouble with what Madison’s treatment is costing. My dad’s never completely honest about those sort of things.”

It’s definitely not fair for Jessi’s family to be struggling because Madison needs help. That’s not fair whatsoever.

“We can talk about it more when I get back.”

I’d rather push the topic to the back of my mind for the time being.   

“You sure you don’t want me to come with you?”

I want her to come with me everywhere, and I especially want her with me when I take this next step that will drastically effect both of us. But I doubt anyone will be there besides the people in the company.

“I don’t want you to feel awkward. We’ll celebrate when I get home, just the two of us.”

“Sounds perfect,” she says walking over to me as I fix my hair. She wraps her arms around my stomach and rests her cheek against my chest, stopping my movements.

“I’m so proud of you,” she whispers sending warmth through my whole body.

“You have no idea how much it means to me to hear you say that.”

She looks up at me through her long lashes.

“Then I should say it more often, because it’s true, regardless of the promotion.”

I wrap my arms around her and pull her closer because I can barely stand the intensity in her eyes.

I’ve heard that when a man and a woman are in a real, lasting relationship, there’s a transfer of power. The women gains strength and the man gains a weakness. That couldn’t be more accurate. Jess is my weakness. Whether I’ll ever admit it verbally or not, I know it’s true.  

“I should go,” I say before I never leave.

“One more question, though I think I already know the answer.” She slowly pulls away from me her hands running down my chest and a shiver running up my spine.