99. Don't Say Anything

{If you're feeling up to it, I would suggest going back to chapter 22, second page, and reading the first like maybe five paragraphs after the bar that separates sections. There's a key hint that I'm almost possitive 99% of you guys missed. HeHeHe. Happy reading!}

“Jessi!” Avery waves as I walk out of class and pushes multiple people to the side to get to me. “Party. Tonight. Kira’s driving.”

“Avery,” I whine as she continues walking with me through campus.

“No excuses. You never go to parties.”

“Maybe because I don’t like them.”

“Maybe because you like Will more.”

“That’s a legitimate reason.”

She laughs and purposely bumps into me.

“It’s no lie that you two are adorable. Nobody thought Will would ever find one girl. But we all miss you at the campus parties.”

“Miss me, or miss Will?”

“I miss you,” she says and then pauses before adding, “But a lot of people miss Will too. You’ve really got him locked up wherever you keep him.”

“I don’t keep him anywhere!” I defend with mock surprise because I know she’s joking. “If he’s not going to parties, that’s his choice. I never told him he can’t.”

“I just meant he’s so in love with you that he’d rather spend time with you than at a party.”

“You talk like you two are best friends.”

“I don’t have to know him. All I have to do is look at him to see he basically melts into a puddle at your feet.”

“That’s not true.”

Will really hasn’t changed that much since I’ve met him. I mean, sure he’s nicer to Leah, and doesn’t sleep around, and isn’t an asshole all the time. But he’s still the tenacious, heart-stoppingly gorgeous but very intimidating man he’s always been.

“I didn’t think I would be saying it when I first met Will, but I wouldn’t say it now if it wasn’t true. How about both of you come to the party? Then everyone wins.”

I sigh and readjust the books in my hands.

“Will and I have to work a few things out first.”

“Ooo, are you guys fighting?”

That’s not what we are, are we? I don’t know what we’re doing. Our disagreements normally don’t last more than a few hours. It’s becoming harder and harder to pull off this angry act. I was genuinely mad at him at a bunch of different point, but he always managed to distract me or say something to make me forget why I was so mad.

First there was his endearing drunk state last night. I couldn’t possibly be mad at him then. And his nightmare this morning. I didn’t have the heart to yell at him right after he woke up. Then he came downstairs with messy wet hair and a cautious shy smile. Even during my rant, he was so focused on me, like I was the only thing that mattered. Like he wanted to memorize every word out of my mouth. I’m the one melting.

He was sincerely sorry. He always is. But I felt like I had to put my foot down so he’ll finally learn from his mistake and realize there are consequences. I’m still trying to be mad at him, but I just want to run to him and jump into his arms and say everything is okay. I am weak when it comes to him.

“We’re not fighting, not really,” I answer. “We had a slight disagreement which we’ll work out by the end of the day.” Then we can keep to our unspoken rule of only being upset with one another for less than twelve hours.