23. Secrets

"I can't accept this," I say over the phone to Will.

"You already did."

"No. No. This must have cost you a fortune!" I run my fingers along the frame admiring the picture.

"Jess, you know where I live. I bought it with the money I found sticking out of Ethan's jean pocket when I dropped my clothes off in the laundry room. He honestly didn't even know it was gone." There is no way that story is true. No one keeps over two hundred thousand dollars in their back pocket. It must have at least cost that much.

"Will, I don't know what to say." Kira just started crying again because apparently 'everyone's life is perfect but hers' and Avery is standing next to me looking at Sanchez's masterpiece with me.

"If anyone asks, it's fake," he says. I almost forgot that Will doesn't like anyone to know he has so much money.

"Yeah, sure." All that matters is I know its real. I still can't believe I'm holding it in my hands.

"And I'm picking you up in less than a half hour." Less than a half hour?

"Leah texted me and said I don't have to be at your house until 8."

"No, I'm not going to that shit. I need to take you downtown." I've only been downtown a couple of times in my life. There's never really a need for me to. I know my Mom goes all the time for her art meetings and conventions. It's about 45 minutes from my house, but only 15-20 from the campus.

"I need to be back in time to go to your house."

"Yes, you'll be back in time. I'm on my way over right now." He says before hanging up. I throw my phone on my pillow and place the painting against my bed.

"Did he paint that?" Avery asks.

"No! It's just a copy of one of my favorite paintings," I say running my hands through my hair in an attempt to detangle it.

"You guys are so dating," she says with a smirk.

"I don't think that's happening anytime soon."

"Will never bought me paintings," Kira complains from behind us. That's because you just hooked up with him I want to tell her. She's really bitchy when she's heartbroken. "Why does he like you so much?"

That's it. "Maybe because I'm not just a one-night stand," I say and Kira immediately stands up.

"You don't know shit Jessi!" Avery stands in-between us and pushes Kira back. Why does everyone keep saying that? I know Will enough to judge his character, and eventually he'll trust me enough to tell me the rest. He's kind of an asshole who's scared of commitment and can't control his mouth, but he means well. He has a heart like none I've ever known and I've just begun chipping away at the rock that surrounds it.

"I'm sorry," Kira says holding her head in her hands. "I haven't been handling anything well lately. Your life is just working out great and I don't think mine could get any worse at this point." I sit down next to her and wrap my arm around her back. "I'm just jealous. I'm sorry." My relationship with Will, which is technically not a relationship at all, isn't as bright and sunny as she thinks. But she's just emotional right now, and I understand.

"It's okay Kira. I shouldn't have said that either. We're all good now, right?" She nods her head.

"Yeah, we're good." She reaches over to give me a hug. I'm really grateful for both Kira and Avery, even though we have our ups and downs, we always come back for each other. That's what makes a good friend.

"I'm going to go out for a while," I say getting up from the bed and quickly changing into jeans and one of my own sweaters. "I'll see you guys later." I grab my winter jacket and head out the door.