11. I'm Just Curious

Will's POV

Jessi sits next to me quietly humming along to the music as we drive out of the library parking lot and down the street. She wanted to walk in the damn rain all the way there while I drove, but I called her crazy until she finally got in the car. I'm glad she did, because I probably wouldn't have left without her. We'd still be in the parking lot right now if I didn't threaten to stand there all night. She didn't believe me until I actually sat down on the pavement waiting for her to get in the car. Nobody talks back to me or tells me no... and I kind of like when she does. Even though I normally win in the end.

"Am I really the first person you've invited to your house?" She asks quietly. I can tell she's testing out my mood.

"I didn't really invite you. The only choices you gave me were my house or that silent jailhouse." She laughs a little at my response and I smile back at her. I have to constantly remind myself that I'm driving and I can't stare at her.

"Why don't you want people to come over?"

"You ask too many damn questions," I say to avoid answering.

"I'm just curious," she pouts and looks back out the window. I love how she's interested in me. It's fucking adorable. No one has ever cared enough to ask questions about my life. But she can't know everything. I can't trust her with everything. I can't trust anyone, but she's making it really damn hard to remember that.

"Almost there," I say as we pull off the main road. We drive for another couple of minutes down a path that I don't think I've ever seen another car drive on besides my own before I pull off to the side. Jessi looks over at me confused.

"You live in the middle of the wood?" She asks looking around.

"No," I smile. "It's just ahead. I wanted to remind you-"

"Don't say anything," she interrupts. "I got it the first ten times." She must think I'm insane but the last thing I want is a million questions. That's really the reason I don't bring anyone back here. Too many people ask questions and too many people talk.

I drive a little farther into what seems like never ending trees until we get to a clearing of grass. Our gardener must have just cut the grass because it's a perfect straight line across the top of the lawn right up to the house. It takes him most of the day, so he doesn't do it very often. The rain has turned the flowers along the edge of the house vibrant colors, which reflect against the white paint of the house behind them.

"Oh my-" Jessi starts saying but I cut her off.

"Don't say anything, Rosie."

She's so hypnotized that she doesn't even notice the name I called her. The look on her face makes it seem like I just showed her the lost city of Atlantis. Who knew I would get so much enjoyment out of her amusement. I never really appreciated the house when we moved in two years ago because I was still pissed about Leah and Ethan moving across the country with me. We could have moved into the White House and I wouldn't have given a flying fuck. Although, Ethan always says it's 'technically' the same amount of square feet as the White House or something like that. But watching her, it's like I'm seeing everything for the first time again in a new light.

I almost drive off the path into the grass a few times from accidentally looking over at her too much. I park outside of the garage and open the car door but she doesn't move.

"Are you planning on studying in the car?" She looks over at me to say something but I put my finger to my lips and she closes her mouth. I'm suddenly really excited to bring her inside. It's like bringing a five-year-old to Disney World for the first time.