39. The Art Show

I try my best to get out of the car as smoothly as possible. Of course, I end up almost tripping into Will's arms, but his hand holds me steady. After I'm upright and stable, he lets go of me and quickly wraps his arm around my waist. He hands his keys to the valet as we enter the building.

The lobby looks so different from the last time we were in here. It's full of life and beauty. The chandelier above us reflects light throughout the room making everything sparkle. I feel like I'm at Cinderella's ball.

I was right about everyone being impeccably dressed, but I let out a small sigh of relief when I notice that not everyone looks like a model. Contrary to my earlier predictions, not all rich people are pretty. It makes me feel like I fit in just a little bit more.

"Ticket ma'am." A big broad-shouldered man stops me the second we step into the building. Ticket? Oh crap. I didn't bring the ticket. What was I thinking? I obviously wasn't thinking.

"She's with me, Gordon," Will says to the man and who notices Will for the first time.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Mr. Hastings. I didn't see you there. Enjoy your night." He nods his head at us and Will nods back. I'm pushed further into the room before I can say thank you. 

"Mr. Hastings," I say and he smiles down at me.

"Don't ever call me that."

"Does everyone here know your name?"

"They should."

Cocky as ever.

"You practically have the president's job already."

"All in good time, Rosie."

"Am I going to meet him tonight? Jack?" It would be really cool to meet the president of this company. Even though I hold him partially responsible for Will's bus accident. If Will didn't have to pick him up, he would have never been in such a position. That's really unfair of me to say though.

"Umm, maybe. We'll see if we can catch him when he's not too busy." Will has tensed up and his arm pulls me slightly closer. "The art is on the second floor, so let me introduce you to some people before we go take a look."  

Oh gosh. Here we go. Just don't say anything stupid, Jessi. I grab a drink from one of the many waiters wondering around as we walk. I may need it.

"Matt, Elena," he says when we're standing in front of two very important looking people. "Matt is the head of sculptures and his wife, Elena, works with him."

I shake their hands politely. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"And this is Jessi," he says looking over at me. I take a sip of my delicious fizzy liquid. "My girlfriend," he continues and I literally spit the drink back into the glass. Girlfriend!? Surly I've heard him wrong. But what else could he have said? No, he definitely just called me his girlfriend.

Matt and Elena gaze at me a little confused. I probably look like an idiot. A little warning would be nice, William Hastings! But, oh my God. He just said I was his girlfriend.

Will brings the focus of the conversation back to him as he talks about the event. He brushes off my reaction like it was nothing. He didn't even ask me if he could call me that; not that I mind. I would have preferred if he told me a tad bit earlier, just so I didn't look so shocked when he said it in front of his coworkers.

"We hope to see you again soon, Jessi," Elena says with a sweet smile.

"Same to you." I've gained my composure back by the end of the conversation.