September 2000 (1)

***Angel's POV***

It was a couple weeks into September and it was now the day of the VMAs, which Marshall was performing at. He was so excited since he had this huge performance planned that had never been done before at the VMAs. Paul kept telling him that if everything went as planned, this was gonna be a huge career defining moment for him, and I totally agreed. I went to one of his rehearsals and it was absolutely amazing the things that his mind came up with for this performance, I mean fuck, I even wished I had come up with something like that for one of mine. 

Since the VMAs were being held in New York as per usual, Marshall was back staying with me which I was so happy about. We had been spending so much time together over the last few months since we had gotten back together and I loved every second of it. I hated when he had to go back home though, it was really hard to say goodbye since I always missed him so much. Because I would miss him so badly when we were apart, it was causing me to think more and more about moving to Detroit. It felt like I would sit around for hours just fantasizing about living together, and creating a whole life together. But then there was also apart of me that still never wanted to leave New York, or Aidan, or the baby, or even my dad. Not to mention I had essentially built my entire career in New York. My label was here, Diddy was here, all my modelling was here, how the fuck could I manage flying back to New York all the time for meetings or photoshoots? I guess Marshall does it since LA is essentially like a second home to him now, hence why he bought a literal home there, but still. It's such a pain in the ass to be flying all the time. 

Currently, Marshall was upstairs making us lunch before I had to leave to go get ready for tonight, and I was downstairs mixing a track that I had recorded awhile ago with a local underground rapper who went by the name 50 Cent. I had heard a few of his mixtapes awhile back and thought they were so fuckin' dope, so I knew instantly I wanted to put him on my record. He was having trouble really taking off in New York though since he had sorta been beefin' with a lot of major New York labels, radio stations, and studios so I wanted to do what I could for him since he was from New York, and give him an entrance into mainstream hip hop. I thought about signing him to my label, but he just didn't fit. I had pretty much only been signing women and I sort of wanted to stick to that. I liked my label being all women 'cause it was definitely way harder to get signed to a hip hop label being a woman rather than being a man. 

I had just started mixing it, so I was only on Fifty's verse which was the very first verse of the track when Marshall walked in. "Yo baby, food's ready." 

I nodded. "I'll be up in a minute." 

"Aight. Whatcha workin' on?" He came and sat down beside me. 

I laughed a little. "Magic Stick."

He raised his eyebrow. "Uh huh?" He said encouraging me to continue. 

"Okay don't get mad. I recorded this a long time ago. But I got this artist featured on it from South Jamaica, and baby he's so fuckin' good. What he's doin' with his mixtapes is unbelievable." 

"This him?" He jutted his chin out at the soundboard. 

"Yeah, listen." I replayed the verse from the beginning and we both started bobbing our heads to the beat.  Forty seconds later his verse was done and mine started. I turned it down and looked to Marshall to see what he thought. 

"Ya fuck him?" He asked with a serious face. 

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "No Marshall." 

He shrugged and leaned back in his chair. "Aight, yeah. He's dope as fuck then."

"I know he is but he's gettin' fuckin' blackballed by essentially all of New York." 

His eyebrows knitted together. "Why?"