September 1998 (1)

***Angel's POV***

I ended up getting in the studio almost immediately after I signed my contract with Bad Boy, and the rest has been a blur. I've been writing and recording almost every hour of everyday and I have loved every single second of it. I'm working with some of the biggest producers in hip hop currently and with Diddy's guidance, I really believe this album could be damn near perfect. 

My style has always been sexual, but this album really just amplified it, which is what I wanted. I think that's what is gonna make me stand out, my unapologetic and super raunchy rhymes. I wanted to give women all over the world a rapper that they could relate to. Hip hop is far too filled with men saying 'suck my dick bitch', and it was my time to turn around and throw it back in their faces. 

So far, I had fully recorded three tracks, but I was shooting for the album to have at minimum, twelve. The three I had recorded thus far were Dreams, Not Tonight, and We Don't Need It. I might be bias, but I thought they were perfect. I took a lot from my past sexual experiences I've had, which I think brought a lot more authenticity to it. I even had Zoe and some other friends of mine just talking over the beats which gave it such a personal touch, I thought. 

Currently, I was working on a song called Spend a Little Doe and I even had a little bar in it about what happened at the club with Em. "They got to see this/Oh, they wouldn't believe this/You got stuck and left naked/With a hard penis" I was unsure about it but Zoe thought it was hilarious when I played it for her, so I decided to keep it in. I wasn't calling him out by name, so what's the harm?

I was recording the second verse of Spend a Little Doe when Diddy walked in with what looked like Dr. Dre. He motioned for me to come out of the booth and I almost ran over to them. I walked up to them and yup, Dr. Dre in the flesh and blood. Diddy introduced us and I shook his hand. I tried incredibly hard to remain as calm as possible, but I was still so new to all this shit. I didn't understand how anyone could stay calm in situations like these regardless of how long you've been famous. 

"So, Dre's got an artist that we both think it would be beneficial for you to work with, considering the fact that you both are brand new to the game. If ya'll had a few track's together it could really help to blow you both up."

I nodded. "I will literally do whatever you say." Him and Dre laughed, but I wasn't joking. I would follow this mans direction to the tee if that meant this album would do well. "Who is it?" I questioned. 

"Marshall Mathers. His stage name is Eminem or Slim Shady." Dre said. 

"White boy?" I blurted out. 

They both looked confused. "Yeah? How'd you know?" Dre asked. 

"I actually met him last month. He came into a bar I worked at with all his friends." 

"No shit, small world." Dre laughed. "I hope he was nice to you." 

I nodded. "Yes, quite the gentleman that one." I said sarcastically. 

"But ya'll are on good terms right?" Diddy asked me. 

"Everything's good on my side." 

"Aight, well I'll mention it to Em and see what he says." Dre said

"Yeah, that would be dope." Diddy said back. 

"Can I hear some of the joint's you been workin' on?" Dre asked me. 

"Oh my god, please. I would love your input." Diddy went to the sound board and started playing Not Tonight. We all pulled up chairs and I tried my best not to stare at Dre while I waited for his reaction. He started laughing at my hook and I felt like that was a good sign. I understood why it was funny, none of these dudes had ever heard shit like mine. There was a shock value to it for sure. 

"Yeah, you and Em need to work together." Dre turned to me. "Both of ya'll play off of this whole raunchiness and shit that's gonna be appalling as fuck to the public. I mean, yours is way sexier than Slim's, but just as shocking." 

"Really? I've never heard any of his shit." 

"He has a whole song called Cum On Everybody." 

I started laughing. "Yeah, we're definitely talkin' about the same guy." 

The song finished and Dre said it was amazing, which was the biggest compliment I could have ever received. He asked if he could hear another one so Diddy played We Don't Need It. They let it play all the way through and then Diddy started talking. 

"Now, this one. I think would be dope as fuck with a male verse." 

"Yeah, I agree." Dre added.

"Like a two sides kinda thing?" I asked and Diddy nodded. 

"Yeah, cause right now the vocals are a group of girls, so if you put D12 on it to be the other side? Or like the 'male perspective', that could be fuckin' hard." Dre said. 

"Who's D12?" I asked. 

"Slim's group." Dre said

"Oh, with the gap tooth and the big belly?" 

Dre laughed. "Yup, that's two of 'em." 

I nodded. "I'd love to hear some of their shit though, before I go committing to putting them on my record." 

"Yeah, fo sure. I don't have any of their joints right now, but I'm sure I have some at my hotel. I'll give a tape to Diddy." 

"That sounds good." 

"Aight then. I'll talk to Slim and see what he says. He's gotta come to New York again soon anyway to do some promotion for his first single."  

I nodded. "That would be great, thank you so much Dre." 

"Yeah no worries. Do you gotta tape of the songs I can take with me and play for him?" 

"Here bro." Diddy handed him the back up tape we had incase we were to lose everything on the original. "We'll just get another back up." 

"Dope thanks." He got up to leave and shook my hand again. "Nice to meet you, Angel!" Dre and Diddy started walking out of the room together.  

"You too!" I yelled back. After they left I plopped back down on the chair and started spinning it around from being so excited. My audio engineer came back into the room and caught me in the act. He started laughing at me. 

"Aight, get back in there, shawty. You got one more verse." I complied and back to the booth I went. 

A/N: Okay so I realize at this point in time in real life, it was only a year after the West Coast v. East Coast beef had died down and Dre was still dissing Diddy publicly, but it's a fanfic and I needed both their mentors to be helping them out. Sooo hope that's okay with everyone hahaha. 

ALSO, Angel's first few songs are finally revealed and she's using Lil Kim's discography! Recently I've been listening to a lot of Lil Kim (her first three albums mainly) so when I started writing this story I definitely modelled Angel after her. So for those of you who don't really listen to Lil Kim, I would HIGHLY suggest giving her a thorough listen if you're bored and wanna know where I'm getting my inspiration from :)