Chapter: 11 Part of Me

Samantha's P.O.V

Ever since that nightmare I had down here on the first night in code green, I suddenly haven't been feeling too well. I've been feeling ill and scared, just like in the dream but in real life. And while I was relieved to find out it was just a nightmare, I worried about not being able to talk once I woke up.

But, I made it through the week talking, and I lived. I talked to Niall each night, I participated in all the activities, I became friends with Elly-Ann and even got her phone number to keep in contact, and I even earned a surprise going away party from everyone in code green. I let that week that I was in green be the strongest week I've ever had. It was epic, and I loved every moment of it. Even though I was in the crazy hospital, recovering from depression, it was the best week ever. 

But, it was actually a hard week to live through. There was always a constant fear in the back of my mind that my dream might mean something more then what I had initially thought. That somehow, I would only get worse. My depression would slowly take parts away from my body and crush the hope out of them. Some time in the week however, I shook off that feeling and told myself to enjoy the life that was happening right now, because it was better then believing in something that was nothing more then a horrible nightmare.

The day of my departure, I woke up and did not see Elly-Ann in the room. She is not a morning riser and usually a nurse or I have to beat her with a pillow to wake her up. But, she was gone, out of bed and elsewhere. I raised and eyebrow. I walked out of the room in my plain white tee and my blue inpatient sweat pants and headed to the living room. 

I walked down all the halls, which were oddly quiet and barren. It began to creep me out, but then I reached the living room. It was all dark in there, and that NEVER happens. I knew something was up. 

Now, I am a little scared of the dark, so of course my mind was cringing as I walked into the black room and flipped on the switch. Suddenly everyone popped out from under couches, behind tables, and even one dude hiding behind a Playboy Magazine. I was startled, and jumped, but soon I began to smile so big I couldn't control it.

"SURPRISE!" Everyone shouted. 

I smiled and slightly laughed in reply. I was in disbelief that they would throw me a party, it didn't seem to be true. "Thank you guys," I said. "I wasn't expecting this!" I laughed and everyone laughed along.

I was showered in hugs from most the nurses and patients, and I laughed as I tried breathing in the large group hug. Looking at me from a 3rd person perspective now, I must have looked like I was never sad a day in my life. A smile on my face, blush covered my cheeks, and I was hugging people didn't seem to be possible a year ago. 

We disbanded our hug and I began to talk to all sorts of people I had made friends with. I thanked everyone for coming, and they would give me a hug. Even the old grumpy cat Isiah gave me a big hug. I just felt so loved, and my heart felt so warm, it was unnatural for me, but I kind of liked it. I went around chatting with everyone, until a random nurse I didn't know brought in a chocolate cake covered in chocolate icing into the room. It had sprinkles and said, "Congratulations!" In rainbow icing writing.

We all had cake and danced to silly music (because in here real music doesn't exist), and I had a good time. We laughed and talked and played little games. It was really fun, and I would have never thought a mental hospital could throw a fun party.

After the party, I was guided to the front desk, where I could finally, officially, check out of here. I worried on the walk over there though. This was NOT going to be a cheap stay, I am probably 20,000 dollars in debt now thanks to this. I couldn't afford that. My home would have to be taken away to pay for this. I began to nervously sweat in my Pj's (still). I didn't even think about the money problem. Is this what would send me back into depression? Is this what that dream tried pointing out?

I nurse at the front desk greeted me. I told her my full name, she typed on her computer, and then pulled a clipboard out from under the desk and sat it on the counter.

"Sign there please," she said as she typed frantically. 

I signed the dotted line, wrote the date, check marked a few boxes, and finished my papers. I picked up the clipboard and gave it back to the nurse. She took it without moving her eyes from the computer screen. She typed, and I stood there in silence, waiting for what to do next.

She typed and typed, until she looked up at me and said, "You may leave now Ms. McBloom."

"Um," I confusingly said. "I thought I needed to hear about a method of payment or sign some kind of check?" I grasped the edge of the counter hard, ready to steady myself before I fell down after hearing the cost.

"Oh," she smiled. "You don't have to worry about that."

I raised an eyebrow. Was she jut saying don't worry JUST yet, tomorrow you'll get the bill. "Why?" I asked like a little child.

She stopped typing and looked at me. "No one told you?"

I shook my head no.

She flashed a smirk, "Oh." She said. "Well a family member paid for your treatment in full while you were here."

"What?" I said. I narrowed my eyes and tried thinking. What family member would have any money to pay for my hospital stay? We were all kind of poor, and I don't think my family exists. "What was the name of the family member?" I asked, playing off my what.

"Let me look," She said. She rolled her chair over to a file cabinet and took a few minutes to search through it. "I am sorry, I did make a mistake." She said with a file in her hands, wide open. "It is a close family friend."

"What is there name?" I asked. I sounded kind of rude, but I didn't have much patience.

"Um..." She took her finger and skimmed through the file. "Ah, here. A Niall Horan."

I froze.

"I would guess you know him?" She smiled and closed her eyes.

He did what for me? No way did that boy pay for my care here. I didn't know how to react. But I shook it off, thanked the nurse, and left the building.

I walked outside, and I thought I  would be stunned at seeing the sun and the gravel road, because I haven't been outside in what felt like forever. But the thing is, I was still in shock. Why would he do that?

I walked down the gravel road, my one hand in my pocket, and my bag filled with stuff in the other hand. I couldn't stop thinking about Niall suddenly. I couldn't believe what he did for me.

I smiled upon reaching the end of the driveway. I stopped, and felt my face get hot with blush. I tilted my head down and looked at my feet, scared to show the world my smile and red face. I was thinking about Niall, and how sweet he was. 

It crossed my mind as I stood there at the end of the hospital driveway that Niall was my best friend right now. It also occurred to me I may like him too. Even thinking about crushing on him, made me blush harder. I didn't ever think I liked him, but I always saw him as a friend, I guess I put up a barricade so that I couldn't admit or know I liked him. But now, as I stood there, the fall wind brushing my hair and the leaves starting to fly, I realized it.

I blushed harder, and contiuned to walk to any close bus stop. 

I had a crush on Niall.