Chapter: 21 Santa Clause Is Comin' To Town

Samantha's P.O.V

I finished using Maura's curling iron, and then looked at myself in the mirror, sitting there. I couldn't believe what I saw. I stared at the girl in the mirror, a completely different person then last year at this time. At that point in her life, she was hurting herself like crazy in every way possible, and her look was an utter mess of emotions. She was a sad girl to remember. But now, I look and I see a different girl. One with pretty, brown, curly hair, she has a beautiful green dress on, tied with a bow at the waist, and a crystal necklace dangling over her chest. Her face was filled with make-up that complemented her lips; a dusky pink color. She had light pink blush on, and soft white eye shadow just above her brown eyes. I don't think I had ever seen this girl before. She was so beautiful. 

I knew then I was ready to go downstairs. It was 5:00 P.M. Christmas day, and only one of the guest, Niall's father,  had arrived to the house. I only knew because I heard the doorbell when I was showering about an hour ago. I haven't been downstairs since about three, because I was getting ready, so I am yet to meet Niall's father. 
But now, I was all done, which means I get to go down, and stop feeling confident about myself, and instead worry about what others think. I sighed, and slouched on the chair. I was going to have to get up, and I was going to have to go introduce myself, but I really didn't want too. 

As I sat there in my poor posture and wondered how I should present myself, I heard a knock on the door. I jumped because when you sit in silence so long, you grow accompanied to it. I put a hand over my heart, making sure I understood it was only a person on the other side of the door. "Can I come in?" I heard the voice of the other person say.

Oh crap. Moment of truth had to come sooner then I thought. So I stood up swiftly from the stool, primped in the mirror really fast, fixing a little end of my hair; and finally I stood perfectly straight, on the side of the bed opposite the door. "Yeah, I just finished." I replied. The door creaked open.

"I think Greg and-" Niall stopped dead in his tracks when he looked at me. He had seen me a million times in his life, but this time, he acted different.

I stood there and smiled. Slightly blushing. I think this reaction was good. "Like it?" I asked him with a tiny shrug.

He stood there, looking me up and down for quite a while, before he finally decided he could speak. "Um, y-yeah you look very nice."

I wrapped my fingers around the end of the dress skirt and did a little head bow. "Thank you."

"N-no problem." He smiled and rubbed the back of his neck. "W-what was I saying?"

I shrugged. "I don't know really."

"Oh," he said softly, and walked out of the room. I made a funny noise in response. What was that all about? Was this I sign I looked okay? I quickly dismissed any ideas and made my way downstairs. 

I entered the living room to see Niall, and his parents sitting around on the recliners and sofa talking. I guess they heard my footsteps on the tight hardwood floors, because they all stopped talking and turned towards me. I felt awkward, their corneas burning their way through my soul, making me want to hide in fear. I looked at all their faces, their eyes glued to me. There was Niall in a red sweater vest that I had seemed to miss noticing moments before. There was Maura, in a silky white turtle neck, and long black dress pants, and then there was the face I was unfamiliar with. His hair was brown and gray, and nicely trimmed. He looked nice, dressed up in a red and white Christmas sweater, and causal jeans. He seemed to be a very simple and light on the eyes man, until I met his gaze. His eyes were a piercing blue, that seemed to be able to blind you if you looked at them too long. I drew back a step, a little overwhelmed by how powerful his eyes were. 
I acted like a skittish baby reindeer.