Chapter: 5 Found Me

Samantha's P.O.V

"HOLY SHIT!" I jolted up. I was breathing profoundly and sweat trickled down from my forehead. I wheezed heavily, and held my chest to calm my heart that was beating right out of my body. 
It was just a nightmare.

It occurred to me. Just a nightmare. I collected myself and sighed repeatedly in relief. Thank God, I had no idea what was happening. I caught my breath and finally my body started to function. My brain's gears began to turn, and as they sped up, I realized something.
Where was I?

I looked around. There was a ton of medical equipment in all directions I turned. I realized I was lying down, in what must have been a hospital bed. Was I in a hospital really? What the hell had happened that put me in here?

I got up and pulled up the blind cords to the windows. The sun beamed through the windows and while it was warm on my face, it was harsh on my eyes as I squinted to see. I saw nothing but walls of other wings of the building in every which way. I looked down and saw a tiny courtyard no one was using at the moment. It was an attractive little thing, with a garden and a fountain and a chess table, it was like the park in a little area. 

I closed the blinds and decided to get back on the hospital bed. I was too lazy to be fully awake at this time of day normally, but of course I could not go back to sleep easily because it was a hospital bed. I sat straight up in the bed criss-cross apple sauce and let my eyes rest as I waited for a nurse or some kind of caretaker to come in so I could play twenty why am I here questions. 

I pulled the rough white sheet up to cover my legs because my feet were freezing. When I leaned forward to pull up the blanket though, I felt something sticky shift on my side. So something was wrong with my side that is why I am in here? I ignored the feeling for that moment and pulled the sheet up and covered my legs. I sat upright again and thought about seeing what was wrong with my side. So I looked down and pulled up a side of the hospital gown I just now noticed. 

But I stopped before I looked at my sides. I saw on my hand I had a IV taped and stuck on the top of my hand. On my index finger, there was a white wrap that just had the appearance of a a band-aid, but the inside was glowing red. My wrist had clear tape all over it, I could still see the cut scars, but they looked much healthier and seemed to be healing under the plastic tape crap.

I haven't felt my body in a while, that is why I had no idea I had IV's or anything on me until I looked. You wouldn't think constant depression would make your body feel like a hollow shell, but it does after so much hurt. That is why I think a lot of people hurt themselves. They want to know they are still there, that they can still feel, and pain just happens to be the answer. 

I checked my other arm too, which had only the clear tape on it, and no IV or red glowy thingy. So then I decided to check my side. I lifted up the side of my paper gown again and this time actually looked down at my side. From the midpoint of my rib cage to the bottom of my pelvis, there was a huge white pad attached to my body. What the heck happened?

Suddenly the door opened and I felt like a kid caught with my hand in the cookie jar. I swiftly yanked my gown back down as I saw a machine roll into my room. A female nurse followed the huge piece of technology in her light blue scrubs and smiling face. 

"Hello," She greeted me in a cheery voice. I liked how happy she was. I liked how I could tell she was by just hearing her voice. She was a happy person, who could make other people happy. 
I wanted to punch her throat. 

"Um hi," I said a little bashful. I was nervous to talk to a nurse who probably knew more about my body then I did. It would make anyone nervous if they thought about it.