Chapter: 14 You've Got a Friend in Me

Samantha's P.O.V.

I knocked on the crimson red door five times. I felt that was enough, so I stepped back into the cramped hallway, almost hitting the wall by just stepping back. This apartment sucked. Just from the looks of the building, this apartment was more cramped then the one in the Blues Brothers. Barley enough walking space to do anything, and it is right above a run down, somehow still in business, dive bar. Maybe there is a railroad right outside the window that blows the whistle every time its near the apartment. You know, just adding some more midnight fun.

I heard scurrying on the other side, and the clack of a rattling lock. A click of the doorknob deadbolt, a turn of the knob, and the door swung open. It revealed the short, almost red head girl. She looked up at me and smiled. "Hey roomie," She greeted me.

"Hey," I said back.

"Come on in," She motioned her hand inside. I took literally four steps and found myself in her apartment. Her apartment made mine look like a mansion (more or less). All it really was was a large hallway. Upon walking in there, I almost ran into a little wooden beach chair. It was a nice beach chair, orange with arm rests and had a little orange poka-dotted cushion on it, but it was a shame that was her living room furniture.

Across from the chair was a little dinner table that was not folded up, but could be. It was nice, but I couldn't understand how you would use that in a lounging chair. To the side of the dining table was a tiny, single person bed. It had a dull white frame which really didn't match the gray paint of the room, and a bright red comforter. The bed was nicely made, and on the top where a pillow obviously was, a brown book lied. A mini fridge much like the one I own, sat in the end of the room with a toaster on top. To the side of that, right below the only window in the room was a unplugged camping stove families use with little cantenes of propane. I never thought of owning one of those. That may really come in handy.

"Sorry about the tight space. It's always hard to move around in here." She sighed. "But it is all I got, and it is the best thing in the world."

"Actually, it is rather homely here." I replied. "And even though it's in the ghetto, it somehow feels welcoming."

She grinned. "Thanks. Why don't you sit down." She said pointing towards the orange chair. Elly-Ann made her way towards the fridge, lifting her petite little knees high up to dodge all the obstacles. I sat down on the very comfy beach chair, and watched her open the fridge and pull out two Gatorade's. She tossed me one, and luckily I caught it, hiding my lack of coordination.

She kicked the door closed, looked at the end of her bed right in front of her, and jumped over the post and slammed down on the matress. She made the clothing lines of her self taken pictures shake, and even paintings towards the door I can only assume she painted, shake. "So how's life?" She asked me as she clicked open her bottle and drank the red liquid.

I smirked a bit. "Well, I was about to ask you the same thing. Considering you just got out of the nut house and all."

"Oh," she gulped her drink all down her throat. "Life is fine, I just have a hell of a lot of bills to pay off."

"Hospital?" I asked and cracked open my blue Gatorade.

"Not just that, but the rent, and the additional therapy, and bills in general." She shook her head. "I need some cash."

"Maybe you need a job." I suggested.

She shrugged. "I mean, getting an occupation would be a great source of income... but I don't have a college degree."

"You don't need a college degree to work at some places." I said. "I got an awesome job, and I don't even have my high school diploma."

"Well I know I don't NEED a degree," She flipped over on her bed to look up at the ceiling. "I just have wanted to be a Geneticists ever since I was a little kid. And you definitely need a degree for that."