Chapter: 39 When I Get Home

Samantha's P.O.V.

After such a long time, the police have officially left my house. It took them forever, but since the trial on those two devil worshipers ended, they had no more use for my house. Elly-Ann and I had decided to visit it and see if there was anything I could sell. My medical bills have been extremely high, and my job alone could not pay them off. It isn't out of the question to just sell the house and live with Elly-Ann, but that scares me. Plus, I have lived here all of my life, why would I want to leave all the memories behind?

We made it to my apartment around six. All was still. Maybe it was because the police had been hugging the area tightly for the past few weeks, and no one dared to walk around here with their bags of weed stinking up their pockets. Casually talking, Elly-Ann and I went inside my apartment for the first time since the incident.

"How did you manage to pay your rent?" Elly-Ann asked me as we started our way up the stairs. I get why she is asking. A nice sized studio apartment lime mine, in horrid shape or not, is very expensive in New York. And because I am so close to New York City, rent is even more money out of my pocket.

"Do you mean when grandma was still alive? Or before my room was all decorated like it is?"

"Ever." She stated.

We had made it up to the door containing my room. Before I got my keys out and unlocked it, I answered the original question. "Well, when my grandma was alive, she was a pretty well paid banker. The only problems with money for her was having to pay for me, and she was an avid stockbroker."

"Like a legal stockbroker for the stock market?" Elly-Ann interuppted me.

I let out a rough giggle and rubbed the back of my neck. "No. She wasn't exactly certified. But that didn't stop anyone from 'doing business' with her. If anything they preferred her because there were no rules to how much she could and couldn't lend out. The only problem is, she really didn't get her money back all the time. And sometimes, since the person invested her money into stock that went down, they had a hard time repaying her, so money was sarce."

I opened the front door with the keys in my hand. I only opened it however, I didn't expose the room yet. "Then, when she kicked the bucket, I was found out to be her sole beneficiary. I got five hundred thousand dollars and all her property. I put the money towards a possible future in an educational way, but kept about a hundred thousand out of that to support myself. I didn't even blow through all of that when I started a job and paid the rent myself. I believe I still have about four hundred and fifty thousand dollars, because I am really just waiting for a time when I need the money."

"You're rich, and too stingy to use it." Elly-Ann crossed her arms.

"No, I'm not." I said. "My grandma is, I am not. With that money I'm hoping to move away from this God awful city. Take her body with me, and bury her in a proper cemetery with a grand headstone inside a mausoleum. I think she deserves it."

"Where were you contemplating going?" She asked.

Without any hesitation, I replied. "Anywhere. Just not New York." With that, I pushed the door to apartment open, and revealed my poor room.

The floor was still sooty and blackened, and where my sofa and bed use to be, was just a mess of black wood and hints of cotton like material. I had grown use to the look, but still felt a little physically sick when all the memories come flooding back. I made it to the middle of the room and stopped. The apartment, my apartment that once looked so beautiful with all its new things, somehow seemed depressing.

Nothing was different besides the items the fire consumed. Everything was in the place I had left it. My clothes pile was still in the far corner, my dishes were still piled by the sink, awaiting a long deserved bath, and my lamp above the table still had no lightbulb. It was all as how I had left it, but it was all so different. Everything seemed darker, and harsher. It didn't settle well with me. I could almost feel my anxiety levels raising inside of me as I began to pant uncomfortably.