Chapter: 3 Bleeding Out

Niall's P.O.V

I walked down some random neighborhoods to satisfy my feeling of needing to walk. No one was really walking around in the neighborhoods at 11:00p.m at night, so it was quite nice to be able to walk alone. I passed a lot of houses and apartment buildings, but all the buildings around here were very close together, so I didn't walk as far as one might think if you measure by house length.

I walked passed a McDonald's, which isn't so spectacular when one is on each block in New York. It was tempting to stop but I didn't have cash on me. After I made it to a elementary school, I decided to turn around since I was far enough in the residential community, and I would probably not want to go any farther and risk getting horribly lost. 

I crossed the street and began my journey back.
Passed the house with the iron gates of horror I passed earlier, passed the trashy flat that had a bush growing through a broken window, and passed the McDonald's from earlier. 

I pulled out my phone to check the time. 11:20. I had enough time to make it back without rushing. I slid my phone back into my pants pocket and walked forward. My mind was clear, and the slight breeze across my face felt nice. I was starting to feel a little tired luckily, and right when I started to think of the heat and getting under the covers of my bed, I heard the sound I will never forget.

        SMASH!

I jumped and looked up ahead of me from where the noise came from. I saw glass shatter outwards and a black mass fall tumble out with a thud. Oh God, I thought. What was that?

Without thinking, I ran up to the apartment the door broke off from. Well if this was a murder scene, I really should have thought before I ran up to check on what broke the door. I got to the lot when I saw it. I gulped, I knew I just got myself into something. If I run I look like I did something, if I help, I'm gonna get in trouble with management, and security, and everyone.
It was a body lying there.
A young female with blood stained on her hands and stained on her white shirt. 

I felt my body shake. Was she dead? Was she murdered? I looked around the neighborhood. Was I seriously the only one who heard this? I felt a drop in the pit of my stomach. What do I do?

I bent down to her. I put two fingers on the right side of her neck. I couldn't tell if she had a pulse that way. But in movies and shows they can always find a pulse that way. Gulp. I put my hand gently on her chest. I swore I could feel her heart still beat, which could only mean she was alive... for now. I stood up and got my phone out of my pocket. I needed to call for help. But do I call Zayn first and tell him about how I was being held up? God, I have so many unanswered questions I feel unsure and queasy. 

9-9-9. I dialed on the phone and hoped it worked in America. But I got nothing but, "the number you are trying to reach isn't available. Please redial or hang up and try again."  I hung up and shook the phone with both my hands. I looked down at the girl, still lying there. Glass sat by her in every direction, and from where the door once stood led a path to her body. My mind exploded, and suddenly I had no idea how to think straight. I mean, in this situation I'm sure the normal person would freak.

But somewhere in the jumble of mess in my mind, I actually popped an idea. McDonald's has free internet access don't they?

I ran back to the fast food chain and got close enough to the building for my phone to be able to connect to the internet. Really quickly, I got on the internet and Googled the emergency number in New York. 9-1-1. Easy enough to remember. So I turned back and ran towards the scene again. 

I arrived, and too my disappointment, no one had come out of their house to notice the lady in the grass, slowly dying. It was all on me. I was suddenly the person responsible for saving someone's life. I feel like I am going to shit a brick.