Chapter: 36 Dead Memories

Samantha's P.O.V.

"You sure I do not need to call a babysitter?" She asked me halfway out the door.

"Yes I'm sure!" I giggled. Elly-Ann is trying to treat me like a baby anymore. She goes to work, and I have paid time off for about a week in order to heal. By heal, I mean heal to the point when I can walk well enough to be on the job.

"Okay..." She slipped outside the door. "If you say sooo." She dragged out her final words to make a dramatic exit. Finally however, she closed the door. I shook my head and let out a sigh. My first day all alone. It was six in the morning and I only got two hours of sleep, but I woke up to the sound of Elly-Ann's alarm. Now, I couldn't go back to sleep. Even in the dark room that only invited sleep.

I sat up on the loveseat. I had so much time to stare around the room now, I could tell there were a few more changes to it since the last time I saw it. Last time, Elly-Ann had a lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. Now, she had a lamp in the shape of a red balloon dangling from the ceiling. Her bed was no different, but she had replaced the sheets to a bright yellow color. The sheets looked so silky and soft, I imagined sleeping with the sheet would make you sleep like a baby. While the lamp, loveseat, and sheets have all changes, not much else had. There was two paint cans in the corner, one I could make out to be orange, and the other seemed to be red. This apartment sure was going to be bright. I wonder if bright colors help Elly-Ann relax. I mean since she got her job at the dollar store and was able to buy all this colorful furniture, she seems happier now out of the mental institution.

I wanted to turn on her TV and watch anything, just to take my mind somewhere clear. But, I knew I couldn't. That would make for a high electricity bill and I couldn't bear the idea of spending my friend's cash for her. How many minutes in was I? Five? Actually, probably not even. I was not close to being far into the day, and I was already bored out of my skull.
I pulled the blanket up to my neck and laid back down. Maybe I should try to get more sleep. I need some anyway, and it would be a good way to pass the time. So I rested my foot up high on the arm again, and closed my eyes. Only hoping I could drift back into a slumber.
____________________________________

I had apparently managed to go back to sleep after all the tossing and turning I did on such a tiny couch. It must have been an hour before I fell asleep, yet I still did. I raised my weary head up and blinked like crazy upon seeing the sun shine through the only window and into my eyes. I'd like to think everyone has hissed at the sunlight once in their life, because I did. I felt like a sizzling piece of bacon or a vampire. So I avoided the sun as best I could, by rolling off the couch with a thud. I groaned in pain. My leg didn't hit the ground, but it collided with my good leg. It stung, but I sucked it up and clawed at the carpet to make the pain go away. I let out a big puff of air, and finished my whine. I turned my head to the side to face under Elly-Ann's bed.

I closed my eyes and rested my head on its side, and when I was ready to open them, something caught my eye. It was under Elly-Ann's bed. A little sky blue box scraped up like a bear was trying to get in it. There is a saying, 'the curiosity killed the cat', and I always believed it had meaning, especially since I am a curious person. But I knew, Elly-Ann would really end up killing this cat, if I took my chances. I tried to not retrieve the box, but I just had too. It was the only thing under the bed anyway, it had to hold some importance. So, I reached under and scooped it out. It was exposed and out so I decided to lift it up on the loveseat. I grabbed both ends, and picked it up, only to realize it was a damn heavy box. I felt my spine bend backwards as I tossed it quickly on the bed. I wasn't really expecting it to be so heavy.

I pulled myself up from the floor, supporting myself by holding on to the loveseat cushion. I stood up, and decided to stall time by checking the clock and changing my bandages. I looked at the clock, 1:00p.m. I guess I really did sleep well. I slept for quite a while, and not to mention right through a time for a much needed bandage changing.