los angeles baby

chapter ten

H.E.S.

"LA LA, baby, she's a, LA LA, baby, you're my..."

Louis is next to me on the plane ride to Los Angeles, and honestly saying it hasn't been a pain would be a lie. He's a kind lad he is, but one can't take much of the Jonas Brothers in one flight.

I lean over in my chair and spot Niall sitting alone. The spot next to the window is free and I pick up my phone and my Beats headphones before going over to sit next to him.

"Boo," I say, making him jump out of his seat.

"Oh my god, Harry what the hell?!"

I laugh quietly and sit down next to him, reclining my chair down to his level.

"Hi," he smiles, recovered from his fright.

"Hey there."

My lower teeth bite my top lip and Niall begins to run a lone finger across my bicep tattoos.

"Why do you have a sailboat on your arm?" He asks quietly as he turns his body to face my flat one.

"Well," I say, "I dunno, when I was eighteen I thought it was the best idea since the star tattoo."

He nods and I look to his side pocket and see TFiOS staring right back at me.

"How are you liking that book hm?" I ask. Niall looks to where I currently am looking and he mutters 'oh',

"I'm just about done, Augustus just died from the cancer in his leg and Hazel is about to go to his funeral."

"That's just about the most depressing part of the book ever."

"God Harry you're so typical."

"Typical?!" I say loudly. A woman shushes me from the back and I apologize quickly.

"I'm used to being as loud as I please," I chuckle quietly to the blonde boy.

"Does everyone I know fly in a private jet or is it just you two?" Niall says, motioning to Louis and I, "I mean come on get back to your senses, this is the common way of living."

"Hey, I'm not complaining," I protest, "just stating."

"Whatever," Niall says with a wide smile on his face, "Back to the topic of the book, every TFiOS fan I've seen in the Twitterverse has talked about how sad it is when Augustus dies."

"Well, isn't it sad?" I protest, "I mean, those two were in some pretty intense love, and having one of them just pass away like that isn't sad to you?"

"Look look, it is fucking sad okay I cried like a baby when he died, but I think a more upsetting part is when Augustus tells Hazel he loves her in Amsterdam. Like, you know you have cancer, and then you tell someone you love them? And though Hazel didn't know about it, Augustus did. That to me was the saddest moment in The Fault In Our Stars. Maybe there's a reason why he waited to confess but as far as I know he should've said it before they went to Amsterdam."

"Well isn't that a fatal flaw in all of us? Not being able to do things at the right time? Waiting too long to confront life because we think we have all the time in the world, but in reality, we don't?"

It's then when Niall gives me that look. That look he has when something life-changing has happened and he's just speechless.

"You okay?" I say.

"That was perfect," he whispers, "I never would've thought of it that way..."

"I can get in depth about stuff like that," I explain quietly. Niall nods and suddenly crawls into my lap, surprising me.