deep sixing 1999

GUYS I'M UP FOR ANOTHER ROUND IN THE BROMANCE AWARDS! THIS BOOK MADE IT TO THE NEXT ROUND SO PLEASE VOTE!

chapter twenty-two

the same night

N.J.H.
Talking to Harry about my issues with my dad is the first thing on my agenda tonight on our date. Maybe not the best time, considering we're seeing a movie (in which we may do more than watch), then going to his house. The circumstances leave me no other option but to talk to him before we go to sleep.

The car comes to a slow halt as the movie theater comes into our vision. The nerves increase as Harry parks next to a blue Honda in front of the building. He looks exceptionally handsome tonight, wearing his classic white t-shirt and black skin tight jeans. I had decided to dress a bit more lazily and chose to wear a pullover with black jeans, but either way I can cockily say we're probably going to be the best dressed tonight.

He turns the engine off, leaning back in his seat with an increasingly bright smile on his face.

"You," he whispers, "literally resemble the sun." Harry continuously does this, comparing me to stars and the sun and the moon and any other astronomical object he can think of.

"Aw," I say, "how charming."

"But," his long arms snake around my torso, squeezing softly, "I know inside the sun isn't out. What's bothering you? You've been deadly quiet during the car ride and I know that's nothing like you."

"Nothing Harry," I tell him, "can we go...?"

Harry frowns, but lets go of me, knowing I'm being serious. I prepare myself to leave the car, but a click of the lock stops my sudden movements. Harry looks back at me, nothing but determination in his eyes.

"Nope," he says, "I need to know what's bothering my Niall."

"No you don't," I say, suddenly going back on the idea of trusting Harry with this slice of my past, "you won't think of me the same."

"You mean whatever this is will halt my never ending fondness for you?"

"I... yes."

"Baby," he sighs, taking both of my hands, "I realize you like to go through your life all by your lonesome."

"I do," I say.

"Well guess what? I'm here now. You don't have to live that lonely life you're used to. Now I know something is irking you and I need you to trust me. I've done nothing but treat you well--"

"There was the post sex thing..." I remind him.

"Babe," he says, "that, was me being an idiot. You know, I thought we were past that?"

"I don't forget things..." I say.

"Yep, I noticed."

"Is there a point to this interrogation?" My voice hints slight annoyance as the thoughts slip through my lips, "Because no, I don't really like sharing things Harry. I don't like talking about my life stories much, to your dismay. I'm not exactly the most sharing and caring person."

The car is silent for the longest time, the said truthful expressions filling the atmosphere and leaving us speechless. When Harry's voice is next heard, it's nothing that I thought would ever be said,

"Ni, one would assume you're heartless."

The words sting, taking me back to a very dark place. I bite my lips harshly, holding back tears as I respond to his statement,

"No Harry. I'm not heartless. I just taught myself to use my heart less."

I reach over, clicking the lock again and leaving the car. My feet hit the concrete and I wipe my eyes furiously. The wind is blowing ferociously through my hair and the water leaving my eyes is flowing back to my ears. I don't want to cry in front of him, not after what he just said.