maybe

simple, but effective.
comment.

chapter forty-one

H.E.S.
I drive us to the airport, giving Niall some extra time to sleep. Since his mum called he's been so overly stressed and it's made him completely exhausted. I turn to check on him as he dozes off. I take a right turn and sigh, licking my lips.

Since Saturday, things have been extremely awkward. He doesn't think so, but I feel it. I can't even remember the last time we just laid in bed and took in the moment and felt the love that we've always had whirling around us.

I feel bad, being that it happened in the first place. And then I go and get fired right after. I'm not living up to the standard that's being Niall's boyfriend and it's taken a real toll on me. I'm running out of options to redeem myself, and I'm starting to consider Zayn's alternate job.

I pull the car into the parking lot, stopping the vehicle and shaking Niall awake.

"Ni..."

He doesn't respond and I sigh, picking him up and draping his arms across my back as I carry him bridal style. I take both of our tickets out of his coat pocket and take us to the front desk.

"He needs to wake up," the flight attendant tells me snarkily,

"Yeah yeah," I snap, "look there's a flight to Ireland in two hours and we have tickets so just,"

I grunt, handing her the tickets,

"Do your job; because it's not being a bitch."

She seems slightly offended but I wave it off, because if you don't wanna get attacked, don't poke the beast. The attendant does her airport magic and soon we're clear to go through security. I shake Niall awake, successful this time around.

"What's happening?" He mutters, yawning quietly. The girl hands me the sheets of paper, glaring at me as she staggers away.

"What's her deal, hm?"

He rubs his eyes cutely and I smile, kissing his forehead.

"Nothing. Ready?"

He nods and we prepare to go through the grueling airport rituals.

"Remember when we were going to LA?"

We sit on the plane and I nod, biting my lips as I hold his hand,

"What about it?"

"Well," Niall licks his bottom lip, "it's just that things have changed drastically since then."

"Tell me," I rub a circle in his hand and he smiles,

"We became official, you discovered you have a half brother, your dad and my ex got engaged, Zayn and Louis hooked up, you got fired, I got promoted, just to list off a few things..."

"Yeah," I chuckle, "and I don't think we've split, let alone taken a break."

"Exactly," he grins up at me, "I just feel like we can surpass anything."

"Maybe we're fireproof."

"Or invincible."

"I don't think there's a difference." I respond.

"Why?"

"Just that, invincibility doesn't last long. We can't be invincible forever. But I know we'll get through it anyway."