not a hero

chapter seventeen

N.J.H.

I'm cleaning out my desk for the winter season when Louis calls me unexpectedly. I decide to ignore it and just call him back when I'm done. My leave is coming up soon, and as excited as I am, there's this sick feeling in my stomach as I gather my things for my time off.

"Niall?"

Harry enters my office with his phone in his hand. I wave and he grips my waist firmly.

"Hey," he says, "So I've been calling a lot of people today..."

"About what?" I ask.

"You."

I stop what I'm doing abruptly and look up at him. Why is he calling people about me?

"What are you—"

"Niall, I'm taking you to the doctor today."

The sinking feeling enters my body. I back away from Harry, slightly offended that he would go behind my back and do this.

"Please Niall," he says, "Don't you think this would be good?"

"No... I, don't even talk to me." I mutter, walking past him and out of my office, the need for fresh air taking over. I push past a couple workers to the forty-eighth floor balcony. I breathe in the city air (not that's it's all that great) and rest my hands on my hips.

"Niall, come on..." Harry comes up behind me and I jump from fright. I distance myself from him and he holds his hands out.

"Babe I know you're scared, but wouldn't you rather get antibiotics for your condition then take a full winter leave?"

He asks me in a timid voice, trying not to frighten me but attempting to convince me. I look down at my fingertips and notice my fingers are violently trembling. I sigh shakily, sulking my shoulders.

"Harry you don't understand. I simply can't go to the doctor. I... I can't. There's no way. I'd freak out, embarrass myself, this fear is untamable—"

"Ni," he says exasperatedly, "Why would I let you walk into something so difficult for you alone?"

My mouth parts and what he says suddenly makes perfect sense; he wants to help me.

"Why?" I ask.

"Why what?"

"Why do you want to help me? Why do you even have these feelings for me?"

He looks at me, his eyes expressing a hint of hurt.