beats of a dark heart

HEY. you all went from 100 to 0 real quick. i am ashamed. there were like no comments on the last chapter. come oooon. and be on the look out for double updates and stuff like that because i'm updating a lot this week (hopefully)
and... should i enter the wattys?

chapter twenty-four

N.J.H.

Going back to work turns out being really weird. After the weekend I had, seeing Megan and all my other coworkers feels strange. Harry and I ended up falling asleep on his couch once we got home from Gemma's house, neither of us showered or well rested. The next morning was hectic as we tried to ready ourselves for a busy day at work.

I open the door quickly, fixing my tie so it drapes over my short-sleeved button down evenly. As I walk into the office, a couple heads turn to stare at me. I start to wonder if I did something wrong, but I realize what seems fishy as soon as Megan comes by me with a smirk.

"Someone wants to see you," she tells me, "she's in the waiting room and, she's impatient."

"You have to tell her to wait," I say calmly, trying not to become infuriated the second I walk into work, "I have paperwork, and then I have to meet with Mr. Styles."

"Your fuck buddy?" she taunts.

"My boyfriend," I come back, "and I believe you have coffee to get me, so get on that."

"All I've done is get coffee for you," she complains.

"Well all you've done is try to fuck my boyfriend, so I think we're even. Ta ta."

She walks away in a huff and though I'm not the demanding type, but if someone like her crosses my path, all my sympathy is out of the window. I have no respect for trainwrecks like my intern. All my life I've worked hard and watched others work harder to be where they are today. A girl that expects to fuck her way to the top has none of my respect.

The day consists mostly of the said paperwork I had to fill out. It took awhile and was majorly tedious but as soon as I got it done I had a pretty relaxed day. I didn't have much to do with the release of a new movie soon, so I chose to spend the rest of my hours in Harry's office.

"Babe?"

I snap out of my mental replay of the day and draw my attention towards Harry,

"What's up?"

"Didn't you have a meeting?"

"Oh!" I exclaim, "Shit! I forgot!"

Grabbing my shoes, I slip them on quickly and prepare to rush out of the door, but Harry grabs my arm before I can advance.

"Babe," he says, standing me in front of him firmly, "I just smothered you with kisses on top of my desk. You can't just run out of here without fixing yourself up."

He tousles my hair with the tips of his fingers, which have multiple rings fastened on them today. He then straightens out my shirt evenly and presses a kiss on my forehead before patting my bum.

"There we go," he sighs happily, "go on now."

I roll my eyes as he leans down again, kissing the tip of my nose.

"But seriously," he says quickly, "I am ordering Chinese for lunch. No. Joke. The craving is eating me alive."

I laugh, nodding as he picks up his phone and notes again that he isn't kidding. The door shuts softly behind me as I speed walk over to the waiting room.

"Oh my god," I say loud enough for the awaiting girl to hear, "I apologize; I had so much work to do--"

My breath gets caught in my throat as Tiffany smiles slyly at me. She's wearing a short skirt, a crop top and a pound of make-up. It then occurs to me how differently she dressed and acted around me when we were in a relationship. She plays the part the man wants to see.