simplicity

chapter one

N.J.H.

The commute from Marvel Entertainment in New York to my shared home in Brooklyn is long and irritating. Although it's a short drive, its a dangerous one. I can't begin to count how many times I've almost been hit by a car or truck. Unreal, honestly.

I pull into my driveway, thanking the lord that I've survived the night. As I approach my front door, I put my keys in the door. When the door opens in my house is my best friend Louis Tomlinson on my couch.

"Louis? You know I love you but why the hell are you here? And eating all of my powdered doughnuts?!"

Louis jumps up from the couch out of fright, probably choking on his doughnut. He starts to laugh as I kick his leg, making him move so I can throw my briefcase on the floor.

"Sorry darling," he replies sarcastically, "Your blonde bimbo let me in."

"Surprised she didn't hit you upside the head with her Prada bag..." I chuckle.

"Please, everyone knows she can't handle the intensity that is Prada. She makes it look like she's wearing a monkey on his shoulder."

"And you?"

"I'm a fashion icon-no scratch that, fashion overlord."

"Yeah yeah, whatever you say."

Louis and Tiffany have a burning hatred for each other. Actually, since high school if we're being historically accurate. He insists that I deserve better and that I'll see a better offer and leave her to die in a ditch, but it won't happen. Tiffany is the love of my life.

"Wait," I say, "Where is Tiff anyway?"

"Late meeting with her boss she told me, not that I would listen in any other situation," Louis explains, "I swear she's worse than Eleanor, and it's Eleanor we're talking about."

"Why don't you stop dissing my exes and let's focus on the fact that you're single, and always in my house?"

"I personally loathe the loves of the taken. Being single means you're free to everything."

"Fuck you Tomlinson," I say, realizing there are exactly zero full boxes of powdered doughnuts, "you ate my holy food."

"Therefore I am the antichrist," he beams and I throw an empty box at his head.

"What's gotten up your ass then?"

"I humiliated myself in front of the assistant CEO," I mutter.

"The whonow?! Since when does Marvel have assistant CEO's?"

"Since they probably knew I was going to lock him in."

"Sweet damn Niall," Louis sighs, puckering his lips, "Powder doughnut kiss?"

I peck his lips and he slaps my face. It's normal for us to act this way, and Tiffany understands our very close and intimate friendship.

And no, we don't have sex or give each other blowjobs.

"That's what you get for cheating on your 'sunshine' Horan." He slaps my butt and I kick his side.

"Hey," I smirk, "You're only the housewife!"

"I am not!" Louis exclaims,

"Then why are you always here? You sorry sucker!"

Louis and I eventually calm down and watch a couple movies together, it's Friday, so I'm off 'till Monday.

"You know," he sighs, "You should really stop worrying about this assistant CEO..."