Chapter 42

Chapter 42

I bit my lip as I played with my fingers nervously and stared at my phone which was on the table.

It's been two days since I talked to Lee and I bet he's told Jake that I would talk to him soon.

I've been pacing back and forth for forty minutes thinking if I should call him or not.

"Nina, would you just do it?" Kaleb said irritably.

He came barging in my house an hour ago announcing that he was bored.

So, now he's been sitting there watching me pace and is getting very impatient.

"Do it, or I will." he threatened.

I groaned and grabbed my phone calling his number.

As it rang Kaleb stood up. "I'll be in the living room if you need me."

Before I could say anything Jake's voice came out. "Nina."

It used to be love. I sighed internally, I never realized how I missed hearing his voice.

"Hi, Jake."

There was silence for a few seconds before he broke it.

"I...I think we should take break." he said out of nowhere catching me by surprise.

"W-what?" I stuttered.

He sighed deeply. "I know you're thinking the same thing. We should take a break first before, you know, making anything official."

Before making our break up official. That thought made my chest hurt and my stomach churn.

I sighed defeated. "Yeah, I was honestly thinking of it too."

I was thinking of it because I thought we were already on a break.

Then silence again.

"I'll be back on Christmas. I'm still attending the party." he stated breaking the silence.

Something was up, he sounded different. He sounded so dry and emotionless.

"Yeah, me too." I said slowly.

I knew where this conversation was going.

Before he could say anything, I sighed. "Let's-let's not ruin Christmas for everyone else. Let's just get along and, and act like friends...not as a couple."

He sighed deeply. "Yeah, I think we can manage that."

"After Christmas, then we can talk. Okay?"

"Yeah. Okay." He said dryly.

There was silence between us for the nth time. My stomach was churning and I was gripping my phone to my ear way to hard.

"I'll see you then." I said breaking the silence.

"Yeah. See you..."

"Bye."

"Bye." he said weekly and I hung up.

That was terrible. That was absolutely terrible.

I trudged my way out of the room and to the living room. I plopped down beside Kaleb staring at my phone in my hands.

"How'd it go?"

"Terrible." I muttered and threw my phone on the coffee table.

I leaned back and buried my face in hands and groaned.

"It's okay, you'll be fine." he said rubbing my arm comfortingly.

"We're taking a break. Then after the Christmas party, we're going to talk about us. We might...break up."