Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Jake Hawkins

Two Weeks Later

I was in my dark blue Bentley, sitting in the backseat, upfront was my driver of course, and bodyguard.

"No dad. We can't, it's actually too risky."

"What? MV Corporation is still huge and successful, even with Jared and Cornelia gone." He states through the phone as I scanned through some papers.

"Yes, but, Marian and her son, Victor, don't seem very..." I said trailing off as I thought of the right word.

"Very what?" my dad pushed.

I sighed. "They don't seem trustworthy, and you know, honest..." I said trailing off.

"What?" He asked confused.

I groaned. "Dad please just trust me. Don't make a partnership with MV Corporation."

"Harold! Trust your son's decision." my mom scolded out of nowhere.

I groaned again. "Am I on speaker again?"

"Hi, sweetheart!"

"Mom!" I whined rubbing the skin between my eyebrows.

"Don't 'mom' me. Did you eat lunch already?"

I smiled slightly amused. "Mom, I'm twenty three, I think I'm old enough to remember to eat or not."

"You haven't eaten yet, have you?"

Ugh, she knows me too well.

"I have!" I said trying to lie.

"Jakob Brandon Hawkins, don't you dare lie to your mother." She warned.

"Mom, what's the use if you know when I'm lying or not." I said smirking putting the papers back in their folders and back in the suitcase.

"Don't sass me mister." she scolded again.

"Jamie." my dad said reminding her he was still there and that we were talking business.

"Oh, shush. Harold, your son is sassing his own mother..." she starts complaining making me smirk and look out the window not bothering to listen.

We were on a stop light when my eyes caught on familiar light brown hair.

My smirk grew wider as I got my coat and unlocked my car door making my body guard turn around questioningly.

"I'll call you guys, later. Love you." I said, my mom in mid sentence and hung up.

I turned to my driver. "I'll call you. Watch the car."

I stepped out of my car and heard my bodyguard do the same behind me.

I jogged to keep up with her and gently grabbed her shoulder to a stop.

She jumped and turned to me with wide eyes. Oh God, I hope she remembers me or this would be really awkward.

After about three seconds I saw her visibly relax and sigh in relief.

"Good, you remember me." I said smiling at her and shoving my hands in the pockets of my coat.

She smiled up at me, her emeralds shinning in the sunlight. "Nice to see you again, Jake."

"You too, Nina. So, what're you up to?"

"Uhm, I'm heading to lunch." She said jutting her thumb behind her to the direction where she was heading. "You?"