Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I found a dress at the back of my closet. It was a midnight blue dress that hugged my curves in all the right places which is one of the reasons why it was perfect, the other was is was plain enough that it would let me blend into the background and not get noticed. A thin black belt was wrapped on my waist, matching my black pumps that competed the look.

I wore a thin silver band on my wrist that my mom gave me. According to her, it was one of a kind. She had it made in Paris that's why there's an Eiffel Tower carved on it in the middle outlined by small diamonds. Inside my name was carved, Cordelia Janina.

I had a small black purse with my necessities in it, and I just left my long dark brown wavy hair down, very light make up covered my face.

We were currently in the event now and it's going great.

"Nina. Place these in the car." Marian said for the nth time tonight without even saying 'please' or 'thank you', or even giving me a rest.

Yeah, I was lying.

I've been going back and forth from the building to the parking lot where the limo was the whole night. Not to mention that I've been fetching her drinks and food as well.

I grabbed the stack of papers from her hands and nodded. I was not to say a word to anyone unless asked. I've been introduced as her temporary PA for tonight since most people were used to Phoebe.

"Mike!" I called our driver.

Mike turned to me and sighed sympathetically as he unlocked the car.

He came to me and got the files off my hands. "You know she has no right to do this. Your father left the company to you---" he started but I cut him off.

"Sshhh. Mike, someone might hear." I said whispering a bit.

"So? Let them hear." he said shutting the trunk. "It's true---"

"No, my father left it to them, because I can't handle it." I said and sighed. "It's okay, I'm leaving in a year anyways."

Mike's been with us since my mother and brother were still alive. I don't know why he hasn't left. He's already in his late 50's, he could be doing something less stressful than this before he retires, but he decided to stay.

"You know that's not true, Cordelia."

"Mike, no one calls me that anymore."

"Why? That's what I've always called you. That's what your father and mother called you..."

I sighed. "Well, that's just not who I am anymore."

Also cause Marian doesn't wanna risk people knowing about me, that's why I go by the name Nina.

"As I've said a hundred times, I'm Nina now. Nina Henderson."

Henderson being my mother's maiden name.

"Sweetheart, you will always be Cordelia Maxfield to me." Mike said making me smile slightly and shake my head.

"Keep it down, please. Anyways, I have to go. I'll see you later, Mike." I said smiling at him and heading back to the party.

I was walking and rounded a corner when I hit something hard, making me stumble in my heels.

Strong arms caught me, making me stop stumbling and stand straight up again.

"I'm so sorry." I said and looked up to see bright sapphires staring into my emeralds.

"Uhm, no, I'm sorry. I was texting and wasn't looking." He said letting go of me and smiling sheepishly.

He then narrowed his eyes and slightly tilted his head to the side. "Hmm, you look familiar."

"Uhm, I'm sorry, but have we met or something?" I asked curiously.

He blinked as if snapping out of it. He chuckled sheepishly and held out a hand. "Jake Hawkins."

"Oh, you're the son of Harold Hawkins, the owner of Hawkins Corporation." I said recognizing his father.

"Yes, that would be me." He said chuckling softly. "And you are?"

"Nina Henderson." I said introducing myself as we shook hands.

"Nice to meet you. How come I've only seen you now? I'm always at these gatherings and it's the first time I've seen you."

I already got this practiced so I don't stutter and blow my cover. "Oh, I'm Ms. Marian's temporary PA, just for tonight."

"Oh, well no wonder I didn't see her usual PA." he said leaning his shoulder against the wall and shoving one hand in his pocket.

"Yeah—" I said but was cut off with my phone dinging. "Sorry hang on."

I dug for my phone in my purse to see a text from Marian. I sighed in my mind and put my phone back inside.

I looked up at Jake again and smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, I have to go, duty calls. Nice to meet you, Mr. Hawkins." I said holding out my hand.

He smiled at me again and took my hand. "Call me, Jake. It was nice meeting you too, Nina."

I smiled at him again and walked pass him back to the gathering and looked for Marian.