Chapter 8

Chapter 8

I turned and knew it was him. I've always hated his voice, it always annoyed my ears.

I took a deep breathe and turned around. "I'm honestly surprised you're here. I mean this is a charity event and I most certainly know that helping others annoys the hell out of you, so you try your best to stay away from it."

He glared at me. "Do I have to remind you again about your bank account? Do you want to be penniless like you're supposed to be?"

That made me freeze and clench my jaw. He can always make me shut up with that statement.

"How are you here anyways?" he said smirking looking at me up and down. "And dressed in expensive looking clothing and jewelry, if I may add."

Before I could answer someone cleared their throat.

Dammit, I forgot Jace was here.

"Sorry, but, what exactly is going on?" He asked confused.

"Oh, I see. You're Jason's date, aren't you?" he said looking at me, then his eyes went to Jace and he smirked. "Well, Mr. Fox, I didn't know you liked girls without class."

"I see that someone is still bitter that I didn't accept a partnership, are we now, Mr. Winston?" Jace said making me look at him surprised. "Your statement there is wrong by the way. I actually like girls and my partnerships with class."

Damn. Remind me not to get on his bad side when he can make comebacks like that.

"And she's not my date." Jace added.

"No, she's mine." a new voice sounded.

I looked behind Victor to see Jake standing there arms crossed, his eyes narrowed into slits, his face looking very annoyed.

"Oh, I see you've got a hold on Mr. Hawkins, huh."

Jake was still glaring at Victor and had no signs on moving from where he was standing.

"Do you have something against Nina?"

Victor scoffed. "Well yeah, I guess we should let the cat out of the bag now."

My eyes widened as I looked at Victor pleadingly. Marian would have my head and my life.

"And what do you mean by that?"

Before I could open my mouth to stop Victor he had already spoken.

"She's not my mother's temporary PA. Although she does work for her, as a maid at our home. My mom adopted her when her family died one by one." Victor started as Jake looked at me in shock. "She's a penniless maid and diner girl and I can bet you that she's only using you for money."

I gulped and pleaded with my eyes for him to stop. What he said was true but not everything about it is true, and the last part was a huge lie.

"Victor, stop!" I said before anything else came out. "Just stop..." I said before he could say the thing that would actually make me penniless.

I looked at Jake's eyes and I could tell he was shocked, and disappointed. He didn't wanna believe it but it was hard not to.

I ran out of the garden and down the stairs to the beach, away from the pool, away from the embarrassment.

I guess I was lucky that my makeup was water proof because tears were running down my face like waterfalls.

I took off my heels and let them hang on my fingers as I just stared at the ocean.