Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I was stunned. I just stood there staring at him with wide eyes. I couldn't believe what I just heard.

Jake Hawkins, one of the richest people in the world, just asked me out, an orphaned, occasionally a maid, diner girl.

"Say something?" he said snapping me back to reality.

I blinked organizing my jumbled up brain. "Uh, y-yeah, sure."

He smiled brightly showing his dimples, making his blue eyes shine with happiness.

"Really?"

I nodded and smiled up at him. "Yeah, why not. I mean after our conversation a while ago, and the fact that we've known each other for months now, I guess we could give it a try."

He smiled and mischief showed in his eyes. "Will you consider this night as our first date?"

I tilted my head a little, confused at what he just said.

I was about to answer when a new voice came put of nowhere. "There you two are, we've been looking everywhere for you."

We turned to see Harold, Jamie nowhere in sight. I guess she decided to stay in the ball room since her husband has been looking for her missing son and his date.

"Sorry did I interrupt something?" he asked looking between us, a knowing smile on his face.

I immediately let go of Jake's neck, but his hands still rested on my waist preventing me from moving back.

Jake chuckled lightly and faced his dad, one of his hands still on my waist. "Sorry, dad. We got preoccupied."

"I can see that." he said smiling amused.

Well, for a father of a twenty three year old, he's actually pretty loose. He actually makes me miss my dad.

He then cleared his throat and said, "Anyways, your mother's looking for you."

"Alright. We'll be there in a few."

Harold smiled and nodded then turned around and headed back to the ballroom leaving us.

I heard him chuckle and he stepped forward and faced me. He extended his arm and smiled. "Well, my mother is looking for us. Shall we?"

I rolled my eyes and chuckled at him. I linked my arm with his and nodded. "Yes, we shall."

We walked back to the ballroom and looked for Jamie. Well, more like Jamie found us.

"There you are!"

"Sorry, mom. We got distracted." Jake explained smiling.

"Distracted doing what?" she said accusingly raising an eyebrow.

"I asked her out." he said smugly shrugging.

Jamie's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. "Oh my gosh! Really?" she squealed happily.

I was honestly not expecting that. I thought she was gonna burst and tell us that it can't be because I'm way below in the dirt and he's high above in the clouds.

Then her eyes narrowed at Jake and she scowled. "You're lying. Jacob Brandon Hawkins, don't you dare lie to your mother."

Wow. I'm glad the music was loud enough and Jamie's voice was soft enough that no one was hearing our conversation right now.

That would be a little embarrassing. A twenty-three year old grown man being scolded by his mother like a sixteen year old.

Jake shook his head and chuckled. "I'm not lying. Ask Nina!"