Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Jake Hawkins

Today we were going to the orphanage that we planned to renovate. I was dressed simply in dark jeans and a light blue collared shirt, I hope what I was wearing is simple enough.

Right now, I'm in Nina's room waiting for her to finish dressing up.

"Okay, sorry, I'm done." she said coming out of the closet in simple jeans, an elegant pastel green sleeveless top, and black flats. She looked amazing...as always.

I smiled at her and stood up from the couch. "Don't worry about it. You ready?"

She smiled and nodded. "Yeah. Let's go."

She grabbed her coat and bag and we went out of her room.

Troy, my driver for today, opened the door for us. I let Nina in first and I followed.

"Hello, Ms. Maxfield." Aria, my PA, greeted from the passenger's seat.

Nina smiled back. "Hey, Aria."

"Any more stop overs, sir?" Troy asked.

"No. To the orphanage, Troy." I said wrapping my arm around Nina's shoulder pulling her closer.

After about forty-five minutes we arrived at the old, wrecked orphanage.

The iron gates were rusted and wide open. The old wooden porch was clustered with orange and yellow leaves, and toys, most were even broken.

There was a small plastic playground at the corner of the front yard. One of the swing's is broken, and so was the see-saw, and I could see some parts were already cracked. The whole thing looked very worn out.

"Hello, you must be Mr. Hawkins. Am I right?" a woman, who looked like she was in her late fifties said coming out of the front door.

I smiled at her. "Yes. I'm Jake Hawkins. I hope you don't mind that I brought my girlfriend along, she's also one of the sponsors to help relocate the orphanage."

"Oh, it's perfectly alright." She said smiling and then her eyes turned to Aria. "Oh, hello, Ms. Aria."

Aria smiled at her. "Nice to see you again, Ms. Rose." she then turned to me and Nina. "Mr. Hawkins, this is Ms. Rose Colton. She's the one who runs the orphanage."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Mr. Hawkins." she said as we shook hands.

"It's a pleasure to meet you too, Ms. Rose. You can just call me Jake." I said smiling at her. I then turned to Nina and put my hand at the small of her back. "This is my girlfriend, Nina Maxfield."

"Ahh, the rightful heir to the Maxfield Empire. I've heard a lot about you in the newspapers and tv. It's nice to meet you, Ms. Maxfield."

Nina chuckled lightly as they shook hands. "It's nice to meet you too, Ms. Rose. And please, you call me Nina."

Before she could say anything else, a boy that looked about my age came out of the house. He had dirty blonde hair and light brown eyes. He was wearing a worn out plaid long sleeve shirt over his dirty white shirt, old faded jeans and old worn out Converse.

"Sorry, I had to take care of some things in the house." he said running his hand through his long blonde hair.

"Oh, Danny! Good you're here."

He walked over to us and stopped beside Rose.

"This is my son, Daniel." Rose introduced. "Well, technically, I adopted him, but not officially."