Chapter 78: Can't forgive the past

A faint ringing noise was heard. If there was fire sucking the city into a depthless black, that would be the case of what was happening right now. Everyone around them was in total silence, no one dared to believe it. No one wanted to blink either and possibly reopen their eyes to a false hope. But for one person in particular, she felt herself astray between the dreamworld and the world at war.

She thought she was dreaming, falling into deep deep oblivion. Had Garmadon finally managed to break her mind? To reduce her to a pitiful state of an insane woman? Her head must not believe these lies. She must not let the spider in the house. But it was so hard, so hard to believe that Lloyd was really there.
Her eyes narrowed, too soon to shut.

"Lloyd?"

Even though she told herself that she might be considered delusional from now on, not only in the eyes of her enemies but friends as well. She couldn't resist tugging on the sleeve of whoever held her, was it a corpse or wasn't she ready to embrace for impact when the battle first begun.

No, it was his returned smile that brought her back to reality. Too far had her mind travelled to search for this confirmation, to be sure in both her mind and heart that she was not insane for still loving the green ninja, said to be deceased. "Lloyd, it's really you..." a mixed tempest of ecstasy and overwhelming desire—she needed to make sure of so many things.
Yet tears rolled down her cheek as she could finally caress the cheeks of her lover again, not some empty cold husk.

"Yes Rumi, it's me. I'm not dead, Garmadon was just lying." The blonde replied, allowing her fingers to touch his cheeks again after who knows how long. Oddly comforting and nostalgic, he lifted her up at his level and filled in whatever space left they had between their lips by leaning his head down to shelter their affection for one another. "I love you Rumi, I missed you so much." He muttered between pressed lips against the princess who was on the brink of losing hope.

It was if she wasn't ready to be pulled out of this moment, no, both of them didn't want to. But there was a battle at hand. Her vision was still dream-like, as if she was waltzing into a fantasy. She was set aside by the green clad ninja and she hummed softly: "I'm so glad you're back..." all energy in her body failed her, she grew exhausted for a second. It was most likely the relief being washed over her like a clear blue sea.

The SOG were sure silent, especially the commander of this war. Garmadon had no words, just an appalled glare as he instinctively remembered all of the months of work in order to have Harumi's trust. Their bond reminded him as the tallest apartments in Ninjago city. Why was that? Because it hurt. The fact that their bond, the building, was crashing down before his very eyes. It hurt as much as that day when he witnessed his biological child almost die from that crumbling apartment.
Yet here was the oni lord, growling at his return.

"Green ninja, didn't think you'd survive that." he casually brought up, stepping over to the recognized hero. Lloyd growled at his turn, patting Rumi's head, assuring her that he'd protect her during her time of daze. "Bold of you to assume that I wouldn't, father. I've performed miracles before, haven't I?" He shot back.

Garmadon let out a bitter laugh. "And what miracles are those? Causing despair to Ninjago city?" He remarked, readying a newly summoned aura orb from his four arms. It was true, how many times had he let this city fallen? He may be a perfect saviour but Ninjago can't really be arrogant enough to expect a flawless seraph to rain down justice from the skies.
"You know I'd never dream of it. Besides, talking with you wasn't my concern for the day," he paced back and forth.

He cleared his throat, his green eyes glaring at his father.

"It's why you played with my friends' emotions by showing them my dead body. Marionnettes? As if I'd allow you to mess with their minds." He clenched his teeth. Hearing this, Rumi gulped. Ah yes, she was weak enough to drown in lies...
But how could she have known? Lloyd meant too much to her for her to stop awaiting her return. What makes her guilty though was that she was on the verge of giving up.