Part 12

It was decided that khushi's engagement with rajiv was going to be held at shantivan the next day, as it was nani's wish. The night before khushi felt miserable. All the incidents since her first meeting with arnav flashed before her eyes. But again her dreams were broken by arnav's decision of not marrying. She sat infront of her devi maaiya idol and said: hey devi maaiya, humey nehi pata ki hum kya karne jaa rahe hai aur kyun...hum yehi bhi nehi jantey ki barbar humey arnavji kaa khayal kyun sata raha hai ...hum nehi jantey kal kya honewala hai..par jo bhi ho aap hamara sath zarur dena (I don't know what I am about to do..i also don't know why am I thinking of him..i don't know what will happen tomorrow..but please be with me)

She looked at her ring finger for a while and slept off.

Arnav was extremely disturbed by everything happening. Khushi getting engaged to someone that too in his house is probably the last thing he would have wanted.

Frustrated with his surroundings he took his car and went out for a drive in the night. He drove through the empty streets of delhi and only khushi's face flashed infront of his eyes. Khushi being attacked by goons , she crying bitterly in his arms, the way he held her evertime. Unable to fight with his emotions anymore he stepped on the brake and his car screeched to a halt. He punched on the steering and said: kya hogaya hai mujhe? Kyun main itna pareshan hoon..kyun..damn it!! (what is wrong with me? Why am I so disturbed damn it)

Finally the moment arrived. Rajiv's family had arrived in shantivan along with the guptas. It was a huge celebration. The formal introduction between the families was done. Everyone was happy apart from two souls- khushi, who had her head hung down as she fought with the tears which threatened to come out any moment and arnav who was not to be seen anywhere.

Anjali asked aakash: arey aakash chhotey kaha hai? (where is chhotey?)

Aakash: pata nehi di bohot der ho gayi maine bhai ko dekha nehi (I have not seen him for a long time)

Khushi stopped breathing for a moment. She silently prayed for arnav's absence till the whole affair was over.

Khushi and Rajiv were made to sit beside each other. The rings were brought.

Rajiv waited for khushi to extend her hand but she was lost in her own world. Buaji lifted her hand and extended it saying: hath agey karo bitiya (extend your hand)

But as soon as khushi extended her left hand, everyone was shocked to see two fingers including her ring finger bandaged.

Buaji: haai rey nandkisore..ee kaa hua? (what happened?)

Khushi didn't answer at first. Then she said slowly: humey chot lagi thi isliye...(I got hurt that's why)

She apologised to God silently for lying: humey maaf karna devi maaiya..hum nehi jantey hum yeh kyun kar rahe hai..lekin..(forgive me god..i don't know why I am doing this..but)

Buaji was about to scold her when Nani managed saying: koi baat nehi bitiya apna doosra hath agey baraiye (no problem extend the other hand)

Khushi extended her right hand and rajiv put the ring in her finger. Next it was khushi's turn. She took the ring from the tray but dropped it accidentally. The ring rolled on the floor and stopped in front of a feet. Khushi's gaze followed the ring and she looked at the person who picked it up. To her surprise it was arnav. Arnav took the ring and walked towards khushi. Both of them kept looking at each other. For arnav nothing else existed apart from khushi...he moved towards her without breaking eye contact. He had a straight face, tightened jawline and eyes which showed his confused state of mind. Khushi's heart was breaking in smaller pieces every passing second. With trembling hands she took the ring from him; their fingers brushing lightly. Before handing over the ring he gave a glance at khushi's bandaged fingers and then gave her the ring. She took it and slid it in rajiv's fingers. Arnav went away to his room. Rajiv tried to talk to khushi and tried to get close, which she didn't like. She maintained distance from him all through the evening.

Arnav kept pacing in his room. Finally he thought he had to talk to khushi. Khushi on the other hand wanted arnav to come infront of her atleast once. She didn't know what she would say but she wanted to see him once.

Arnav came down the stairs and saw khushi standing alone at a distance. He walked upto her and said: khushi yeh sab kya hai? (what is this?)

Khushi looked at him shocked and said: kya? (what?)

Arnav: yeh engagement..shaadi (this engagement..marriage)

Khushi: haan to? (yes so)

Arnav: what do you want to prove damn it!

Khushi: hum kuch sabit karne ki koshish nehi kar rahe hai..aur waise bhi aap to in sab mein viswas nehi kartey na...fir aapko kya fark padta hai? (I am not trying to prove anything...and anyways you don't believe in all these..so how does it matter to you)

Arnav said with gritted teeth: fark padta hai kyunki...(it matters because)

The were interrupted by rajiv, who stepped in and said: hey arnav, you mind agar main apne lady love ko do minute ke liye le jau (would you mind if I take my lady love away for two minutes)

Arnav didn't say anything just clenched his fist to control himself. Rajiv smiled and said: thanks buddy and held khushi's hand and took her from there. Arnav looked at their direction, a sharp pain in his heart told him..she was going away!