Chapter forty six

It's Friday and Calum and Ashton had left the office at 3pm, when Ashton was finished with his school work for the day. Now, at 6:45pm, they were just about ready to leave the house and head to the modelling showcase -their first public event as a couple.

"I feel too fancy." Ashton says nervously, staring at himself in the mirror and tugging on the jacket of his tuxedo.
"It's okay Sweets, don't worry. I know you've never worn a tux before but you'll get used to it." Calum reassures as he puts on his velvet tuxedo jacket.
"Used to it? How often do you wear a tux?" Ashton blanches.
"I reckon every 2-3 weeks, more around Christmas and the end of the year. Winter is when there's less events so more so once every 4-5 weeks." Calum shrugs.
"How often is it at Christmas?" Ashton gulps, still taking in everything about his current outfit. The obscenely polished shoes, the perfectly tailored fit of his jacket and pants, the stark white of his crisp shirt.
"December is generally a few times a week."
"That's a lot." Ashton whispers.

"It's all going to be okay Sweetheart." Calum chuckles, lifting Ashton's fidgety hands and lightly kissing the knuckles. "This tux you're wearing tonight is simple but once you understand them and feel more comfortable I think it'd be good for you to get some made more to your personal style." The dom explains slowly as they make their way into the garage.
"Like how yours is different?" Ashton cocks his head.
"Precisely. Velvet is my go to in winter." Calum replies as he opens the car, a red coupé fitting for the occasion.
"I think I like the idea of that." Ashton says thoughtfully. "Because everyone is going to look the same, aren't they?"
"Yes." Calum laughs. "We're going to go be in an overdressed and stuffy room full of pretentious, rich doms. All the men will be in tuxs and the women in gowns."

The 25 minute drive is relatively easy as they're going against the traffic and as soon as Calum pulls into the valet parking out the front of the grand building he feels Ashton tense beside him.
"It's all gonna be okay. I'm right here, there's never a time we have to part. What's your safeword for tonight?" Calum soothes.
"Yellow." Ashton gets out, still tense and nearly sweating despite how cold it is.
"And I'll never ever be mad at you for using it." Calum kisses his sub, getting out of the car and handing his keys to a valet as Ashton is offered a hand out of the car by a doorman.

"I have no idea what I'm doing." Ashton whispers, a vice like grip on his dom's arm as they walk inside.
"You've got this Sweets, follow my lead." Calum says as he plasters on a smile for the event.

"There's so many people." Ashton gasps quietly at the crowded room, exactly as pretentious as Calum had said it would be. The dom squeezes his subs hand a little tighter as a reassurance that he's here but doesn't say anything. They float around, Ashton glued to Calum's arm as the older makes casual small talk with other CEO's -his present marketing team doing more of the heavy lifting. Though preserving the face of a business is still an important job.

"Hello everyone, I'd like to thank each and everyone of you for coming tonight. My name is Louis Tomlinson, CEO of Display Modelling. I appreciate you all considering us for any modelling requirements your company may have, whether marketing or otherwise. Please don't hesitate to chat with either myself or my team if you have any queries. Thank you again for helping make tonight such a success." The owner, clearly a dom despite his short stature, introduces the night from a podium at the front. A loud round of applause erupts as Louis smiles and then steps down from the podium. Music starts playing to set the scene and wait staff start walking around with trays of finger food, rather than just drinks, before models come out and slowly weave through the room. They treat a slightly distinguished path through the crowd as a runaway. This allows all the CEO's, marketing people and whoever else to closely analyse if each of them would be right for their material.

"I'm going to need to talk to Louis at some point, should I try do that now? Then it's out of the way and we can go whenever you've had enough." Calum says, voice low under the buzz of the room.
"Oh." Ashton squeaks, a little lost in his own thoughts and observations. "If you'd like. Please don't let me control the evening, it's about you and your business."
"I told you I'm your dom before I'm anything else. Where we are doesn't change that." Calum kisses Ashton softly to reassure him further.
"Thank you." Ashton smiles fondly. "I promise I'm okay. I'll let you know if I'm not."
"Good. Now maybe I will have had enough pretty soon anyway." Calum says with a laugh, Ashton letting out a soft giggle as well.

"Calum Hood is it?" Louis beams as he approaches the Maori man, just five minutes after the conversation he had with Ashton.
"It is. What a pleasure to meet you Mr Tomlinson." Calum grins, extending his arm for a handshake with the older man.
"The pleasure's all mine, how has tonight been for you? Felt inspired?" Louis replies, curious but light hearted.
"I have actually, though my marketing execs are discussing the finer details and considerations. I'll join that conversation on Monday." Calum says casually, as small talk like this is annoyingly common among anyone who frequents a penguin suit.
"Of course," Louis chuckles before turning to Ashton.

"You might be?" Louis throws out a handshake and Ashton is caught completely off guard, shaking Louis' hand but quietly stammering over his words and staring at his dom with pure desperation.
"Ashton Irwin, my partner." Calum interjects, not missing how truly terrified Ashton was.
"Oh lovely." Louis grins. "He-"
"We only got matched last month and this is his first big event." Calum clarifies, making Ashton blush profusely, not wanting Louis to think he's restricted Ashton's communication.
"I completely understand!" Louis gushes. "Harry, my partner, was quite shy at these things initially too. Don't worry Ashton, you'll settle in."
"Harry, you said? Is he well?" Calum asks, noticing how Ashton clings to him tighter and doesn't want to be the subject of conversation anymore.
"Yes he's marvellous. He's modelling in the show at the moment." Louis answer's easily and they momentarily fall into a comfortable silence. That is, until the boisterous blue eyed man breaks it again.

"Ashton, what is it you do if you don't mind me asking?" Louis is friendly enough but Ashton is still scared to talk, Calum gives him a reassuring glance and tight squeeze of his hand.
"I'm doing my HSC, but I do it by distance." Ashton replies hesitantly.
"Splendid. Any plans for next year?" Louis muses, making the other two both at confused at why Louis' so interested in the topic.
"I'm not sure yet. Calum thinks I should go to university so I guess that, not really sure on any life plans at the moment." The younger explains, blushing fondly when he brings Calum's name up.
"Well, and I'm sure you're wondering where my interests lie in this conversation, I have to say you look stunning Ashton. Not just the simple tux, though it works very well, but your face and body. I don't mean to alarm you, what I'm trying to say Ashton is that I think you would be a fantastic model."

"What?" Ashton splutters instantly, unable to contain his surprise. Calum takes a deep breath and remain composed.
"Please don't let me worry you but Calum has my number if you want to chat at anytime about potential opportunities. Of course we could make any arrangements fit around your studies." Louis adds easily.
"Thank you for the very kind words and offer, we'll discuss and in be touch soon -regardless of the answer." Calum replies, Ashton's mouth still gaping like a fish.
"I appreciate that, ask me as many questions as you like. I'd be more than happy to answer anything." Louis finished with a curt nod before walking off.

"What just happened...?" Ashton asks slowly, more rhetorically than anything else.
"You just got offered a modelling contract." Calum laughs.

A/N: Louis said hi hehehehe see you in two days kiddos, love you

-Grace Williams xo