Chapter one hundred and six

Michael - Jeanette: Thanks. Work might be a good distraction right now but I don't know if Luke could deal with me doing that

Michael - Calum: Thanks and maybe, I'll text you

Michael - Crystal: Thank you

"I know I said I was hungry but that doesn't mean I want to eat." Luke mumbles, staring blankly into the pantry full of food. He and Michael had been living together for somewhere in the realm of the month, so the house was well and truly stocked and lived in. Michael looks up from his phone and frowns.
"You need to eat, for the baby. We haven't eaten since breakfast." Michael says gently, placing a soothing hand around his sub's waist.
"I know. They make me want to take care of myself." The younger sighs.
"That's good. Proud of you." Michael kisses Luke's temple.
"But nothing seems appealing." Luke groans.

"Calum's bringing the car back after he finishes work and he offered to bring dinner as well so, eat now but it doesn't have to be big and then pick whatever you want for dinner. How does that sound?" Michael suggests, resting his head on Luke's shoulders and wrapping his arms loosely around the younger's waist.
"Good. I guess. Maybe I'll just have cereal now." Luke says numbly, slowing moving to make himself a bowl of cornflakes. Michael sighs and decides to copy his soulmate, he should eat too, even if he wasn't carrying another human life inside him.

Michael - Calum: If you can pick up dinner that'd be great, Luke's just still deciding what to get

Calum - Michael: How about you order and then just tell me where to pick up?

Michael - Calum: Okay, no worries

The way Luke eats his cornflakes is lethargic, it all going soggy before he's halfway through the bowl. Michael doesn't mention it, even if his bowl is long empty, he just sits and watches the way Luke silently takes mouthful after mouthful as if he'd rather swallow nails. When Luke takes his last mouthful, he puts the spoon back in the bowl with a dramatic and exasperated sigh but doesn't move anymore than that. The obvious fact is that taking 23 minutes to eat a bowl of cornflakes is exhausting.
"You can pick anything you want for dinner, I'll order it and Calum will bring it in a couple of hours." Michael says offhandedly, not wanting to put pressure on his sub, as he stands up and takes their bowls and spoons to the dishwasher.

"Maybe- I just want lasagna." Luke decides.
"Easy. Anything else? Drinks? Sides? Dessert?" Michael asks as he dries his hands and walks back over to Luke at the dining table.
"I want a cosmo." Luke whines. "But I can't because I'm pregnant."
"I could get you a virgin cosmo?" Michael suggests.
"I suppose that'll have to do." He pouts. "For dessert I just want some Ferraro Rocher's."
"Sure. I'll order it all. Why don't you chose a movie? We can watch it on the couch or in bed."

Michael starts by calling the restaurant with what he knows is the best lasagna in all of Sydney and placing an order for two main serves to be picked at 5:15. The rest is a harder ask so he decides to call Calum directly.

"Hey. How are you both doing?" Calum asks gently when he picks up the phone, he can't possibly imagine what they're going through.
"It doesn't feel real. We barely know what to think. Crystal has already lodged the appeal application though, she seemed really angry. Which is nice, but I just can't bring myself to feel angry." Michael mumbles, his words quiet and a little slurred.
"Well that's good. Is there anything I can get for you?" Calum asks, trying to resemble a somewhat positive tone.

"I've ordered lasagna, from that place- fuck I can't remember the name."
"In circular quay? Best lasagna outside of Europe?" Calum quips.
"That's the one." Michael chuckles and Calum loves to hear it. "Now... dessert he just wants some Ferraro Rocher's-"
"Easy done-"
"And he wanted a cosmo." Michae finishes. "Obviously it needs to be virgin because he's pregnant but do you think you can find a way to get a takeaway virgin cosmopolitan?"
"I'll find a way." Calum says definitively.
"You're amazing."

"I know. Now do you want anything? You can't neglect yourself in all of this." Calum adds sternly.
"Other than a whole bottle of vodka to scull? No." Michael answers dryly.
"Grey Goose it is."
"Calum you-"
"I wouldn't. Luke would neck me."
"Just the biggest vanilla milkshake you can find." Michael gives in.

"I- Okay. Go spend time with Luke. He doesn't just need you, you also need him. I'll see you in a couple of hours." Calum says kindly.
"Thanks for this Cal." Michael smiles a little.
"Of course, anytime. You've spent enough time talking to me. Goodbye." Calum hangs up the phone, leaving no room for argument.

Michael first looks into the front cosy lounge room, set up with a big TV and deep couch, and is successful in search of Luke. Luke is buried under a pile of cushions, pressed into the corner of the couch. The title screen of The Benchwarmers DVD is on screen, it's one of the few DVD's Michael still owns.

The movie is short but when it ends Michael and Luke opt to stay on the couch, they're in a lighter mood but they still don't have a lot of energy. Calum and Ashton arrive just before six with everything Michael asked for. They linger for a little while, making sure their friends are okay.

Luke has one taste of that lasagna and claims he doesn't remember the emotion of sadness anymore. That puts Calum and Ashton at ease enough to let them head to the front door, giving Michael and Luke space. Calum briefly stops to quietly reassure Michael that he's happy to do this all over again tomorrow tonight, any night they ever need it.

A/N: sad hours :( I think there's some cashton focus again either next chapter or sometime soon so get excited for that yeeeeee bye I love you all

-Grace Williams xo