Chapter twenty three

"Are you sure you don't want me to come inside?" Calum asks, seemingly for the millionth time in the last hour, as he pulls up outside Ashton's house the following afternoon.
"No. I'll be fine. Promise." Ashton reassures his dom, yet again.
"Okay then." Calum says, leaning in to kiss Ashton goodbye.

"See you Monday?" Ashton asks as he reaches for the door handle.
"Of course Darling. I'm yours for the whole day. We'll talk later." Calum replies.
"Bye Cal." Ashton smiles as he gets out of the car, backpack slung over one shoulder.
"Bye Ashton." Calum blows a kiss out the open window, relishing in the way his sub giggles.

"Mum! I'm home!" Ashton calls out as he walks inside and shuts the front door behind himself.
"In here!" She replies from the lounge room. Ashton sighs and braces for impact, rehearsing the conversation in his head.
"Hey, I um, there's no easy way to say this-" Ashton says before he's even fully through the door frame, having too many nerves to be able to make any form of small talk.
"What is it? Is everything okay? Is Calum treating you right?" His mother is immediately concerned, putting her phone down and sitting up a little straighter on the couch.
"Yes, Calum's perfect, he's fixing the issue-" Ashton rushes out as he sits down next his mum on the couch.
"Ashton, what is it?" His mother's voice is gentle and reassuring as she puts a hand on his knee comfortingly.

"I didn't mention it last week because it didn't seem like that big of a deal and then this week Calum was sorting it and-"
"Has something happened at school?"
"Yeah, uh, some kids were kind of picking on me... I guess?" Ashton's voice is unsure and his mother doesn't interrupt but her eyebrows shoot to the roof in question. "Because everyone expected me to come back after the holidays as a dom, and I didn't. Obviously."
"Oh Ashton. That's terrible. Is there anything I can do? Do you need me to speak to the principal? What has Calum done?" Anne Marie says, positively heartbroken for her son.
"No, it's taken care of..."
"Ashton. What has Calum done?" She asks sternly.

"So he went and spoke to Mr Riersack on Tuesday, also called on Wednesday and got the worst guy suspended for two days, but um..."
"Say it." She presses on impatiently, growing increasingly stressed.
"He told Mr Riersack that if things weren't better by the end of the week he would pull me out of school..." His mother freezes, so he just keeps talking. "And yesterday was the worst, the worst, and I can't do it anymore Mum... I'm kind of dropping out of school."
"Wait- kind of?" She asks quizzically.
"Well I'm still gonna keep studying and Calum said he can get me tutors if I need them, I just won't be at school. I only have to go back to school for my final exams."
"Oh." Is all Anne Marie can bring herself to say initially.

"So you'll just stay at home during the days then?" She asks, not judgmentally because the last thing she wants is for her son to have to deal with bullies at school.
"That's the other thing..." Ashton winces.
"What..."
"I just want you to know that this was 100% my decision and that Calum didn't pressure me at all," he starts nervously.
"Calum didn't pressure you to do what?" She inquires.
"I've decided to move in with him."
"You've decided to what?"

"I'm just always so comfortable and happy and at peace when I'm with him Mum." Ashton starts but the only response he gets from his mother is a thoughtful hum. "And now that I won't be at school anymore it's easy and also I just don't wanna be here, around all the people from school."
"You've really thought about this?"
"Yes." He breathes out.
"And he didn't pressure you at all?"
"No." He shakes his head. "I decided I wanted to do it on my own before I talked to him."
"Well then we're really gonna miss you." She replies and Ashton jumps across to tackle her in a hug.

"I have one condition." She goes on as Ashton pulls back.
"What?" Ashton asks excitedly.
"I want to see his house first. I don't doubt that it's lovely but as your mother, I worry; I need to see where you'll be living."
"Okay, I'll talk to him. Dinner tonight? Or lunch or dinner tomorrow?"
"Maybe lunch so we don't need to worry about coming back early for Harry and Lauren." She suggests, laughing a little at Ashton's enthusiasm.
"Okay, he should be free." Ashton grins.

This time Anne gets up to engulf her son in a hug before he can bound out of the room.
"I'm glad he makes you so happy. That's all I ever wanted for you." She says quietly, making Ashton squeeze her a little tighter.

Ashton - Calum: You were right.

Ashton starts texting as he makes his way down the hallway to his bedroom, dumping his bag on the floor and flopping dramatically into his bed. As excited as he is to move in with Calum he's kind of going to miss this small room with its small and squeaky bed.

Calum - Ashton: :)

Ashton - Calum: Mum agreed to it all, her only condition is that she sees your place first. Can we all come around for lunch tomorrow?

Calum - Ashton: That's wonderful and of course Sweetheart. Come around anytime after 12.

Ashton - Calum: Okay, I can't wait to see you.

Calum - Ashton: Can't wait to see you either Sweets xo

Ashton - Calum: Xoxo

Ashton is grinning like a fool as he lies back on his bed. He thinks about what exactly he should take to Calum's house. Should he leave a bedroom of things here? Or let his mother finally have a guest bedroom?

There's all the posters of punk and rock bands on his walls and he imagines them hanging up in Calum's pristine mansion. Calum said he's into music, maybe they could compromise?

A/N: this feels cute thank you everyone for all the love, I'll see you in two days with another update :)

-Grace Williams xo