Chapter Sixty Four

Chapter Sixty Four

Silver Lights District - Two Days until the Wedding

Kaelen paused as he and Anthony walked into the shadowed interior of his foyer.  His gaze drifted to the ghastly gold curtains, Ruby had picked out, before they moved to the small silver and amber marble side table that had at least five days of dust.  "We've only gone for two days, right?"

"Yeah," frowned Anthony as he reached down to pick up a burgandy scarf he'd dropped as they left two and a half days ago.

"Why isn’t the curtains open," wondered Kaelen as he looked around.

Anthony's lips moved into a disgruntled frown as he looked around, "It's dusty in here too.   Anthony shook his head as he turned his nose up and pointed toward the kitchens, "I don'teven want to know what it looks like back there."

"Bethany," called Kaelen only to hear his voice echo around the first floor.  Kaelen took a deep breath in an effort to calm himself, "This is beyond weird.  Where is Xara, Ruby and Sebastian?"

Anthony reached for his device as it went off as he read through several messages; "According to Harmony and Jasminee, Ruby has left the residence to stay with her father during his time of need."

Kaelen clicked his tongue while he moved further into the large room toward the first parlor.  The sounds of his shoes resounded loudly in the high ceiling room.  "Maybe Ruby wishes to postpone the marriage after her mother's unfortunate death," thought Kaelen out loud as he dragged his fingers through the dust on the marble table.

"Postpone?"  Anthony's face scrunched up in disbelief, "Why would you think that?"

Kaelen shrugged his gray blazer off with a thoughtful frown.  "On Nah'Bye it is customary to mourn the loss of a family member or loved one for at least one year," responded Kaelen thoughtfully.  "I remember several engagements and weddings being postponed because of deaths in their family."

"That's kind of antiquated; isn't it," sighed Anthony.  Anthony shook his head as he stared amused at Kaelen whilehe threw the scarf in the dark closet.  "In the Alliance, especially on Ah'Taria, mourning the loss of another is seen as a weakness.  Plus," continued Anthony without affliction.  ”that doesn't explain this.  Ruby's gone but where is Bethany and why is the house shuttered?"

"I'm here," called Bethany from the kitchen.   The soft shuffling of her feet could be heard as she hurried toward them.  "I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier," huffed Bethany.  "Albert is on medical leave because of an accident on his transport and -."

"So your shirked your duties as a maid and housekeeper," drawled Anthony from the landing, "to care for your spouse?"  Anthony stared coldly at Bethany while he muttered a few curse words,  "You came highly recommended!  I can't stand for this lack of commitment."

"Lord Anthony I can explain," cried Bethany as she ran toward the stairs watching him anxiously as he walked up them.

"I am not in the mood to here you tales right now," continued Anthony arrogantly.  ”Pack your bags and -."

"Sebastian said that I could use this time to take care of Albert," cried Bethany desperately. 

Kaelen patted Bethany's shoulder as he moved past her, "Its fine.  Just open the house."  Kaelen rain his fingers through his hair while he walked up the stairs, "Speaking of Sebastian where is he and Xara?"

"You haven't heard," mumbled Bethany quietly. 

"Heard what," asked Kaelen as he reached the landing.  He turned to stare coolly at Bethany, "What haven't I heard?"