Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty

*dedicated to lovingromanticlife.  Thank you for helping me catch those errors!  I appreicate your help more than I can ever express via this dedication!*

Ah'Taria - During the Bloody Wars

Kevin Jacob Lawson stood, the book he'd been reading in his hands forgotten.  His plump pink lips flattened as stared coolly at the woman his father had thrown at his feet moments earlier.  

"For the love of the gods get up!"  His white boot tapped at the grass as he waited impatiently for the woman to stand up.  

He watched unamused as she cowered into a ball still crying. "Your incessant crying is giving me a massive headache and hives!"   He raised his sleeveless arm and showed small red welts that marred his skin, "Shut up now you annoying twit!"

"I'm s-sorry," sobbed the woman as cringed away from his raised hand.  Slowly she tried to rise to her feet.  "P-please I j-just w-want to go h-home."

Kevin scoffed at the words as he grabbed a handful of her dark brown hair.  He pulled her to her feet unceremonious by her hair and he made sure to turn her so that she couldn't really get a good looked at him.  "You are obviously dumb! Your family, your friends, your home is gone," he sneered as he pulled her closer, her back pinned against him.  His breathe made the hair on her neck flutter, his fingers tightened in her hair as he shook her. "My father killed them all so he could give you to me as a gift."  He looked her up and down with a smile that could freeze ice, “And I plan on using you for all you're worth."

Fresh tears fell from the woman's eyes as she stared into the cold, heartless eyes of the man in front of her.  "P-please j-just k-kill m-me," she sobbed.  "K-kill me n-now."

"No," smirked Kevin.  He inclined his head and stared down his nose.  "I have better plans for you."  His hands tightened even more in her brown hair as he pulled her toward a set of stone steps.  "I have a few experiments that calls for test subjects."  He continued to pull her even as she tripped and fell up the stairs.  Never once did he release his grip on her hair, "Now I have two." He chuckled enthusiastically, "Mostly you and sometimes me."

~~~~~

Xara jerked awake her body felt chilled and heavy as she dragged her eyes open.  With difficulties she blinked and raised her hand as a single tear slid down her cheek.   She wondered if Kaelen's shadow was watching and peered wearily around the dark room before she threw the woolen blanket off.  

That couldn’t have been Kevin! That man looked so much more -.  Xara stopped to ponder what she'd just dreamed.  "He was insanely handsome," thought Xara out loud.  "Almost too handsome to be looked at."

It was a dream, thought Xara, nothing but a horrible and terrifying dream.  She raised a hand to her rapidly beating heart. It was just a night terror.  She released the long braid with unsteady fingers as images of the unnaturally beautiful face invaded her thoughts.

Xara looked toward her borrowed device and frowned, I overslept.   Now I'll have to listen to them whine about how I didn't make certain things for breakfast.

Slowly Xara made her way through the small sitting area and into the bathroom.  Her expression brightened as she looked at the over-done room.  Her eyes landed on the waterfall and she giggled as she skipped toward the crystal clear waters that fell into a large pool.  That's definitely the shower, she exclaimed to herself.

Silver Lights District - Ward Residence

What did he do with it, thought Ruby as she rolled over.  Her green eyes flashed with determination as she leaned over and looked down into Kaelen's sleeping face.