Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Silver Lights District - Ward Home 

46 minutes earlier.....

Kaelen walked beside his father up the front stairs of his home his head down as he concentrated on not letting his father's words get to him.

"I know Lucas and Jacob wants you on the high council and you are happy to have been chosen but you've changed so much since you've met them."  Clarence took a deep breath and walked through the front door too intent on what he was saying to notices the changes to the entry.  "I've heard from various sources that you act like an Ah'Tarian at times and the Nah'Byian council is distraught with your choices."  He turned to stared at Kaelen his disappointment barely hidden.  "And that woman!  She is not good enough for you!  You should settle down with some nice Nah'Byian that you can respect, love and want to spend the rest of your life with."

"Love and respect," repeated Kaelen focusing on those words instead of the ones that pierced his chest, impaled his heart and hurt him to the quick.  He tugged on his ear as he listen to his father ramble on about all the eligible young people that would love to be his life partner.  "Dad why do you always say pair up and life partner?"

Clarence walked toward the back of the house behind his enthusiastic wife.  "That's a nice painting," responded Clarence.  He stopped and gazed at a beautiful black and gray lily with deep purple leaves.  "Did Mia draw that for you?"  When Kaelen just stared at him silently he shrugged and continued walking.  "You and Lex were, and still are, thick as pirates.  I was sure you and he would adopt a kid or two and settle down."

"Lex and I," repeated Kaelen  without affliction.  His hazel eyes chilled as he stared daggers into his father's back.  Slowly he walked into the family room and paused as he watched Zahara, Zero and Jal Quin take in the men already lounging about the large family room.  He almost smiled when his father's lips pressed together and his expression darkened.

"Jacob," exclaimed Clarence, recovering from his initial foul mood and thoughts, his hand extended toward Kevin and a smile played over his lips.  "I didn't know you were going to be here.  If I'd have known I would have made sure all the women were blindfolded."

Kevin amused gaze moved from the woman and two teenages to Clarence as he rose and took the hand extended to him.  "I think you're confused.  I'm not Jacob."

"You look so much alike," gaped Clarence his eyes narrowing as he took in the other man's face.

"The eyes, the nose, the ears, the chin and the voices are different," laughed Anthony.  He strolled over and reached for Clarence's hand.  "I'm Anthony and this is Kevin.  We are both Lawsons and Jacob's cousins."

"Oh my gods," gasped Jal Quin her eyes never moving from Kevin's face.  "You are so -."

"Remarkably similar to Jacob," laughed Clarence.  He frowned as he raked his eyes over Jal Quin and Zahar enthralled faces.  Clarence released Anthony's hand and moved to Jal Quin with a look that promised retribution.  "You're drooling," he whispered half angry half amused.

Jal Quin's brown eyes flickered from Kevin's amused, disturbingly handsome face and moved to Clarence's upset face.  Her hand flew to her mouth, she touched her bottom lip and beneath her mouth, "I am not!"

"Zahar," exclaimed Jal Quin bumping her shoulder.  "Don't stare it's rude."

"Look at them," squealed Zahra running in place.  Her eyes drank in Kevin and Anthony before they moved to the figure still sitting.  "They are -."

"Magnificent," interrupted Zero wide eyed and ready to pounce as he stared at them.  "It's almost like the stars are shining behind them and flowers are floating around their heads.  I can almost hear birds chirping and cherubs singing."