Chapter Thirty Seven

Silver Lights District - Ward Home

"Xara let me see your new rooms," smirked Kaelen as he held his hand out for her to take.

Xara titled her head back. She tossed dark red curls over her shoulder and eyed him warily.  "I think these rooms are a lot more to my liking than any other," she commented as she took his hand.  She gently pulled him toward the door, "Kevin fixed the amulet."

"Did he," asked Kaelen as he turned her around so he could see it nestled between the curve of her breast.  "What was wrong with it," he asked as he touched the yellow stone and watched as the silver lines moved fluidly.  "Isn't it a different color now?"

"Yeah," laughed Xara.  Her fingers brushed against his as she touched it.  Her breath caught in her throat at the tingles she felt in her fingers.   "He didn't say," sighed Xara her eyes searched his impassive face to see if he felt it.  "He just said that'll fix it."

"I'll ask him tomorrow."  Kaelen pulled on the stone gently. a he looked into searching eyes thoughtfully.  "I want you to move back to the second floor.  I don't wish to have to go down three levels to make use," he paused "I mean to see you."

Xara shook her head as he released the stone. She blinked rapidly to dispel the hurt his words caused.  "Do I ask you for a lot from you," asked Xara after she'd calmed down.

"No," responded Kaelen his eyebrow raised as he waited for her to make her point.

"If I did ask you for something would you readily deny me," asked Xara.  She turned away from him the pressure of his gaze unnerving.

"It depends," responded Kaelen, he pushed stray strands of long red hair from her forehead.  "What do you want?  For me to end my engagement to Ruby," he ended with a smirk.  

"No," breathed Xara.  She stared out the study window and watched as a woman walked  past holding the hand of a toddler while she pushed a stroller.

Kaelen turned to see what had caught her attention before he interrupted her thoughts. "So you don't wish me to end my engagement," asked Kaelen.  He stared out the window and saw the woman carrying multiple shopping bags from the Gold District.   She really doesn't care one way or the other, thought Kaelen.

Xara shook her head with a small laugh her attention back on Kaelen.  "Go ahead and marry Ruby," laughed Xara airily.  "You and she deserves each other," she mumbled under her breath.  Louder she continued,  "That way your family will remain as safe as they have been."  

She quickly looked away when his eyes narrowed showing he'd heard her slip of the tongue.  "But I do want two things," she paused and thought it over for a few seconds.  "Make that three!"

Kaelen grunted and she continued softly.  "The first is I wish to remain where I am in the servants quarters."

Kaelen rolled his eyes, "Show me your rooms and I'll decide after I've seen them."

"Thank you Master Kaelen," smiled Xara sweetly.

Kaelen sucked in his breath, his pants suddenly uncomfortably tight at her light hearted words.  "Call me that again in a little while," groaned Kaelen as he pulled her toward the kitchens and the stairs to the servants apartments.  

They walked down the well lit stairs to a long hallway.  "Jael Quin had this redone after she and Dad moved in.  It used to look really dark and dreary"

"Oh," sighed Xara as she looked at the airy light blue walls and light oak hardwood floors.  "I believe Anthony had the apartments done a few days before Brittany moved in."