Chapter Thirty Four

Xara pressed her eyes together and turned over sleep evaded her as Kaelen tossed and turned in the bed. Her nails dug into her palms, visions of Kaelen's shadow and the afternoon's carnage burnt into her eyelids. She covered her mouth, her body curled into itself so she'd not sob as she relived the blue haired man's screams of pain and horror as blood began to seeped from his pores. Silent tears slid down her cheeks, her body taunt and she too afraid to move and wipe her tears away.

I know it's in here somewhere, thought Xara. A cool breeze brought the smell of jasmine and orange blossoms into the room but all she could smell was death. The curtains fluttered gently, the soft hum of a transport echoed through the empty street; all she heard were the screams of men as their bodies were broken apart.

I can't sleep, thought Xara. She inched away from Kaelen with the thought of going to get warm milk seconds before Kaelen sat up with a loud groan.

She quickly closed her eyes and pretended to sleep.

She exhaled slowly into her pillow when she felt him leaned over her, his minty breath fanned over her bare shoulder and face. She snuggled into the thick gray cover he pulled from the foot of the bed to cover her naked body. She stiffened slightly when he brushed strands of hair from her face but slowly relaxed when he didn't do anything else.

"You scared the shit out of her," whispered Kaelen.

The bed shifted as he rose, the sound of him pulling on his robe unbearably loud in the room.

Who is he talking to, pondered Xara.

"I know you're over there," whispered Kaelen gruffly. His gaze raked the corners of the room before they stopped at the corner by her favorite seat.

Xara cracked her eyes open to stare wearily at Kaelen as he sat down. His eyes swirled gold, they glowed eerily in the darkness, as he leaned back against the window.

Xara covered her mouth to stop her screams when the shadows started to take shape and moved toward Kaelen.

Oh gods he can see it and communicate with it, thought Xara. She closed her eyes again so she didn't have to see its horrible shape in front of her.

"You know you scared the shit out of her," laughed Kaelen unconcerned.

Xara eyes flew back open and she watched Kaelen rise, his head tilted to side as if he were examining it.

"Why didn't you just let them take her," sighed Kaelen finally his tone exasperated. "Next time just let them take her."

Oh gods on high he wants them to take me and experiment on me, thought Xara anxiously.

He continued, breaking into her thoughts, "You can follow and report back her location. That way we'll be rid of Oscar O'Mallory once and for all."

Xara released a breathe and her heart accelerated, the sound of it's beat drowned out a lot ouf what he said after that. She clutched the silver cover and willed herself to calm down before he, or his shadow, noticed her rapid heart beat.

"And stop with all the that reaching out like you're going to touch her. And do me a favor! Don't smile like that again. That shit even crept me out."

Kaelen paused as he stared at the shadow. "Damn why can't you not be so damn creepy," whispered Kaelen as he scolded his shadow. "I bet Jacob's shadow is all cool, calm and refined! I'm part Lawson! Act like it! Be more debonair! " He paused again as if he was deciding on what to say next. "You're going to give her a heartache if you keep trying to touch her so stop."

"With my luck Kevin will decide to keep more of an eye on both her and me," grumbled Kaelen with a pout. "Don't point toward that stupid amulet," whispered Kaelen fiercely. "Wait do you know why it won't unclasp?" A few seconds past before Kaelen groaned, "And don't shrug it looks ridiculous."

Xara opened her eyes to see Kaelen and his shadow; both stood in front of the window seat. The shadow seemed to be communicating back to Kaelen as it's form rippled and wavered in the moonlight. Kaelen just nodded and grunted every once and a while. She quickly closed her eyes when the dark blurr stiffened it's head snapped toward her.

"She's asleep," sighed Kaelen. "Just go," he ended before he moved back toward the bed. "Just stay out of her sight for the time being until this dies down."

Xara tried to remain still when the bed dipped under Kaelen's weight. She stiffened as his arms wrapped around her and she was pulled into his chest. She laid there in his arms her eyes closed, she could feel his shadow as it stood over them.

I'm going to die, thought Xara. Sleep continued to escape her but she laid in the warmth of Kaelen's arms willing herself to remain still.

***

Gold District - Hand Residence

"Ruby when was the last time you read the rags," asked Martha Hand. She waved her wood toned device toward Ruby with a scowl.

Ruby looked dismissively at her mother, flicking a piece of black lint from her aqua green latex bodysuit. "The day after Kaelen and I met for our weekly tryst." She pursed her lips and stuck a sexy pose, "I'm thinking of wearing this on our wedding night."

Martha rolled her eyes, "Wedding night? According to gossip you'll be lucky to pry him from his rooms for the wedding."

"What nonsense are you sputtering," snapped Ruby. "Kaelen needs me to keep his seat on the council. Pharris son, Reddick, told me so and Kaelen confirmed it."

Martha sent Ruby a withering look as she turned her device toward her daughter. "He has moved his paramour to his rooms," exclaimed Martha. "An eyewitness saw it first hand!"

Ruby's expression faltered as did her over confident smile. "I'll have that trollop removed immediately," huffed Ruby.

"This is embarrassing," snapped Martha. "Now I understand how Celeste and Acadia must feel."

Deadpan, Ruby stared blankly at her mother. "You've lost me."

"Both their sons prefer those two drakan whores to wholesome Ah'Tarian women. My own child is being humiliated while that third chair shows he too would rather favor a some street urchin."

"Kaelen favors me, mother," responded Ruby tersely. "She is just a piece of ass me amuses himself with."