Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Twenty Nine
Ah'Taria - Docking Station

"You know I would have come and gotten all of you.  It would have saved you days on the transport,” smiled Kaelen.  His hazel green eyes danced merrily as he pumped his father's hand before Clarence Ward pulled him in for a big bear hug.

"Son I don't think my stomach could handle your method of travel and the last time Jal Quin laid in bed for days," remarked Clarence with a warm smile.  "Plus it was the perfect chance for Jal Quin and I to find out how Zero and Zahar like attending the academy on Jigu.  The one on Ollyum is a lot different from Jigu."

Kaelen looked over his father's shoulder to see Zero and Zahar strolling toward them enthusiastically talking with Jal Quin.  He took the large silver bag from his father and slung it over his shoulder.  "And how do they like it so far?"

Clarence frowned slightly, "They say that a lot has changed but a lot more has stayed the same." Clarence shook his head as he visibly searched for the right words.  "Listening to them made me proud and want to cringe at the same time.  I can't imagine how you and Mia were able to make it through the academy."  Clarence sighed dejectedly as he picked up a smaller bag, "Never mind technically she didn't make it and neither did you."

Kaelen ignored his father and focused on what he hadn't said. 

"Why?" Kaelen eyes narrowed on a purple and red mark on Zero's neck.   "Zee what's that on your neck?"  Kaelen's irradiated frown turned into a smug tilt of his lips when he watched Zero's brown skin flush red and his hand fly to the mark.

"It's a bruise I got at school in a sparring match," sputtered Zero a little too quickly, his hand still covered the mark as his eyes darted around to make sure that his parents weren't listening.

"Uh huh," laughed Zahar as she bumped Zero playfully.  "That's a love bite from his friend that he's been seeing for the past few months.  Cornelius," she laughed playfully skipping around Zero before she stuck her tongue out and ran toward Kaelen.  

Zahar paused in front of Kaelen and arched her dark brown eyebrow.  "I've missed you big bro!" Not waiting for a reply she stood on tip toes and planted a kiss on his smooth cheek.  "You are even more handsome than the last time I saw you," she giggled before she walked away.

"And you have grown up a lot,” laughed Kaelen his hand darted out and ruffled her dark brown hair.  "New hair cut?"

"It's called the cupid cut," smiled Zahar as she turned to show Kaelen the back of the short spiky bob.  "This was in one of those books that Mom likes to stare at."

"Yeah," chuckled Zero. "The women in those images had a lot of very weird hair styles. At least Zahar chose one that wasn't too controversial."

Kaelen tilted his head to the side and took in Zero.  "So tell me more about your friend."

Zero looked behind him nervously, when he saw his parents were walking toward the exit he shrugged. "Nothing to tell Core and I are nothing, more nothing less, then friends."

"Uh huh," smirked Kaelen.  He and Zero followed behind slowly. "I thought Lex was coming with you guys?"

"He will be coming in a week.  He definitely will be here before the engagement party," smiled Zahar as she wedged herself between Kaelen and Zero.   "His wife and paramour are both at each other’s throats and he's decided was not bringing either with him."

"Oh," frowned Kaelen puzzled. "I thought Elisa and Midas got along fairly well the last time I saw them."

"That was before," sighed Zero as he ran his hands over his low cut hair.  "From what I heard all hades broke out when Elisa announced she was expecting -."