Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Ah'Taria

Sebastian released an irritated breath as Kevin paced in front of his bed for the fourth time.  He watched with emotion as Kevin excitedly wiped his hands down his dark blue pants and turned toward him.  "Kaelen is close to breaking," enthused Kevin as he stopped and stared wide eyed at him.

"I still don't understand why you are so invested in Kaelen being with Xara," drawled Sebastian as he leaned his head back on the headboard.  "Kaelen's an asshole that's only nice to that twit he calls a sister."

Kevin chuckled, "You're still made she beat the crap out of you at that sparring match, aren't you?"

"It was supposed to be a friendly match," snapped Sebastian as he pointed to his black eye.  "She punched me in the face without provocation."

Kevin stared at the bruise and shrugged, "I think she was holding back."

Sebastian rolled his eyes and turned away from Kevin's smug face.  "I think she was taking her anger at you out on me," complained Sebastian as he stared at the floral yellow and green wall.

"Oh," chuckled Kevin as he plopped down heavily on the bed.  "I believe you may be right.  But what can I do," shrugged Kevin with a lopsided smile.

"You could let her beat the crap out of you," whined Sebastian as he jumped out the bed and swung open his door.  "Xara what brings you here," he drawled as he frowned at her sheer night robe.  "Let me rephrase that.  What brings you here dressed like that?"

Xara wrung her hands as her eyes darted from Sebastian to Kevin.  Xara stepped forward and leaned in toward Sebastian.  "He told me to come," whispered Xara.

Sebastian lips pressed together as he watched her bosom quiver above the low cut bodice of the black satin nightgown.  Angry he turned to glare at Kevin, "Please tell me you are not about to throw her to the wolf."

Kevin smirked as he eyed Xara, "Of course I'm not going to throw her to the wolf.  I'm going to take her into Kaelen's room."

Sebastian face went blank, "Same difference."

"So it is," smiled Kevin as he walked toward Xara.  "But I believe drastic measures are necessary."

Xara gave a hesitant smile, "Kevin I really do think we should discuss your plan in greater detail."

"You sound like the old scared Xara," jested Kevin with a deadly gleam in his eyes.  "I know that can't be right," he continued as his eye bored into hers.

"N-no," laughed Xara as she straightened her shoulders, pushed her chest out and raised her chin.  "I am not like I used to be," she continued in a harsh voice.  "The previous me was weak and I refuse to be weak again."

"That's the spirit," praised Kevin as he grabbed her shoulder.  "Now let's go to Kaelen's room and see if all that boasting you did the other day is well placed."

Xara glanced over her shoulder at Sebastian and sent him a small, determined smile.

"Stop trying to whore out my cousin," snarled Sebastian as he reached for her hand.  "She's afraid and you keep trying to push her."

Kevin stared at their joined hands and smiled, "I'm trying to make sure she remains safe in the bosom of the Sinclair and Lawson family.  Kaelen is her way in."

"Why? Won't you keep her safe," asked Sebastian unable to comprehend.

Kevin stared at Sebastian with a perplexed expression, "Because I want to go home."