Chapter Six

Chapter Six
Ah-Taria, Hand's Residence

"Ruby I have heard rumors that you have started an affair with Octavius Moore while still seeing the third chair.  Is this true," asked Trip Hand as he raked his hands through his gray peppered red hair.  "You keep bouncing from man to man as if it's okay.  After talking with your mother we have decided it is time you settle down.  You are well pass the age and your mother and I are ready to have you out of the house."

Ruby stared absently out of her father's study window as she thought over his words.  Slowly she wiped her hands down the tight blue dress she wore.  "I have not yet found a man that I wish to spend the rest of my life with."

"What of Kaelen Ward," sputtered Trip as he rose to his feet.  "With the rumor mill churning soon no man in his right mind will marry you.  You'd be lucky to be made some man's paramour!  Even Ah'Tarian men have their limits on acceptable wanton behavior."

"You are only a step away from being considered a prostitute," snapped Martha Hand as she fluffed her cotton candy pink hair.  "There are families that will forbid you from being married into their family or taken as a paramour."

"And," mocked Ruby as she stared down at her blue finger nails.  "There are a plethora of rich men that are tripping over themselves to fuck me.  Why should I settle down now or ever?"

"Because like your mother your looks will fade," snapped Trip as he stared at his beloved, yet spoiled, daughter.

Ruby shrugged as she walked toward the door, "I've only just had my 135th birthday.  Why the rush now to have me married."

"You are sleeping with the third chair," sighed Martha as she gave her husband an angry glare, "You will not find any better than him."

Ruby rolled her eyes as she walked toward the door, "He is a stepping stone to a Lawson or Sinclair.  I will not settle for him when I can have one of them."

"I hope you are not aiming for Lucas or Jacob.  Those two don't see beyond the whores they are with," yelled Martha as she cut her hand through the air.  "That Ebony mongrel is pregnant with Lord Jacob's second child and he's adopted her child.  He is smitten with her and it's repulsive that he actually created a contract for her that gives her the privileges of being his paramour but omitted the parts that made her nothing more than a servant.  He is mocking us all with his disregard to Ah'Tarian laws.  And let me not start on His Grace -!"

Ruby rolled her eyes as she listened to her mother drone on about the first and second seat's heirs. When she'd finished a detailed account of Kayla's place in society and in the Sinclair family she smirked. "I will be with one of them or someone in their immediate family.  Kaelen is a stepping stone nothing more than my lap dog.  Octavius is a good fuck that is adventurous.  Since that Xara woman has entered the picture Kaelen has become boring."

"You think too highly of yourself," snapped Trip as he took in his daughter.  "You have three months," he continued as he waved Ruby away.  "If you are not married by then I don't know how you will live but I will no longer be taking care of you."

Ruby stared shocked at her father's announcement.  "H-h-how could you threaten to disown me," asked Ruby as she tried to tear up.  "W-w-why would you make me settle?"

"I've heard you lie to Kaelen saying you wish to be his wife," her mother laughed as she brushed pass her.  "You should be honest and admit that he doesn't want you and that's why you've started seeing Octavius."

"He does want me," yelled Ruby angrily.  With a harsh glare toward her father she rubbed her hand on her blue dress and walked out of his study.
*******
Ah'Taria - Training Area of the Coliseum