Chapter Fifty Seven

Chapter Fifty Seven

The Gold District - Hand's Residence

"I'm happy you were available to see me." Kaelen walked past the Hands latest servant with a bone chilling smile directed toward Trip and Martha.  "I see you replaced... Shelia?  Shelly?  Charmane?"

"It was Chantey," frowned Trip Hand thoughtfully as he stood to take Kaelen's extended hand.  "I still don't know where she got to but we had to replace her."

"Uh huh," frowned Kaelen as he sat in the chair next to Martha, across from Trip.

"Kaelen," gushed Martha with a fake smile.  She impatiently waved toward Simone, dismissing her, "We weren't expecting you after all the commotion at yours and Ruby's engagement party."  Martha batted her eyes and simpered, "I was sure that the council would hold an emergency meeting."

Kaelen nodded as he sat back in the chair, "Yes it's been a very long night and day."  Kaelen tilted his head toward Trip, "I was very sad to see that you weren't in attendance."

Trip shoulders rose and fell and a sigh swooshed from his lips, "There was a strike at my plant on Raxian that needed my attention."  Trip eyebrows furrowed as he shook his head, "But upon my arrival the strike that I received word about was nothing but conjecture.  I arrived back home to find out that your poor paramour was killed."

"Xara isn't dead," replied Kaelen coldly.  "As a matter of fact,"  Kaelen waited until Chantey served everyone and exited the room before he continued, "I'm pleased to let you both know that Xara is expecting."

"Expecting," spat Martha.  "Expecting what?"

Kaelen lips kicked up as he smiled coolly at Martha, "My child of course."

"I saw with my own eyes -."

"How is that," interrupted Kaelen.  He leaned foward and pinned Martha was an icy stare.  "You and Ruby were both knocked out on the other side of the clearing."

Martha waved away Kaelen's words, "Ruby is seeing a medic with the hopes that she can provide you with an heir."

Kaelen stared unimpressed at Martha, "Ruby is not capable of given me a child.  I've come to terms with that and refuse to waste royals trying various experiments to get her pregnant."

"But -," began Martha urgently.

"No buts," sighed Kaelen.

"You uncouth heathen," exclaimed Martha angrily.  "That horrid woman should have died at your engagement party.  She was shot in the chest!  No one should or could have survived that!  She should have died," screamed Martha.

"Should she have," drawled Kaelen.  Kaelen rested his elbows on his knees, placed his head in his hands and smiled maniacally at the floor.  "It's funny you would mention how you hope she died at the engagement party," drawled Kaelen.  He raised his head to stare at Martha blankly, "I have it on good authority that you and Ruby planned to have Xara murdered."

"That's ridiculous," scoffed Trip uncertainty laced his voice.

Kaelen turned to gaze amused at him, "I believe that little uprising was actually a ploy by your dear wife to make sure you were gone while she and your daughter planned to eliminate what is mine."

"What is yours," mocked Martha sardonically.  "You sound like a real man!  Like an Ah'Tarian man!  But you are not an Ah'Tarian man!   You are nothing but a mongrel"  Martha stood up to stare down her nose at Kaelen, "My daughter deserves better than to marry a man that clings to his antiquated customs."