Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Ward Home, Silver Lights District

Kaelen sighed as he walked through the door of his two story brown stone.  With a shrug he removed his trench coat and hung it in the small closet off the entrance.

"I'm happy you're here," drawled Kevin as he sauntered into the entryway.  "Can you tell me where the servants are?"

Kaelen took a deep breath as he willed away the fatigue he felt from a long day of tracking traitors.  "I don't have servants," responded Kaelen as he walked toward the kitchen.

"Then who cooks and cleans," asked Kevin staring around the large kitchen.

"We did," Kaelen answered exasperated.  Kaelen dismissed the appalled look on Kevin's face as he moved to the refrigerator and removed a small platter of smoked meats.

"Who are we," asked Kevin with a know-it-all smirk.

"Kevin I know for a fact that in the outskirts you didn't have servants," growled Kaelen between gritted teeth.  "Why are you acting like me not having any here is so hard to believe?"

"It's different," drawled Anthony as he walked into the kitchen staring at the meats with distaste.  "Are we supposed to eat that?"

Kaelen stared at both men shocked, "Yes!  Jael Quin smoked meats for sandwiches before she left.  The meat should last at least a month."

"You jest right," snickered Kevin as he stared down at the meats.  "Those don't even look edible!"

Kaelen frowned as he shook his head, "I'm too busy for this."  With a frown he walked to the bread box and pulled out a roll. "If you are not happy with what I have provided please feel free to fend for yourself."

Kevin rolled his eyes as he looked around the spartan kitchen.  "There isn't really anything here to eat," he whined as he pointed toward the bare refrigerator.

"Go grocery shopping," snarled Kaelen as he put his sandwich together.

"Where do you do that at," whined Anthony staring at the meats in disgust.

Kaelen bit into the sandwich and frowned as he chewed.  With a repulsed stare he placed the sandwich back on the plate.  "How does one go about hiring servants?"

"So you can't cook," asked Sebastian blandly as he dragged Xara into the kitchen with him.  "I know how to cook," he continued as he pulled Xara with him into the pantry.

Xara stared around nervously, "Why did you bring me in here?"

"So you can show them your womanly charms," chuckled Sebastian staring around at the bare shelves.

Xara brows knitted together as she stared at the floor, "I haven't cooked in a very long time."

"Are you serious," asked Sebastian with a surprised expression on his face.  "How old are you that you don't know how to cook?"

With a sigh Xara shook her head as she picked at her dress, "I guess I can try."

"That's the spirit," laughed Kevin as he walked into the pantry.  "Why don't we go shopping together?"

"S-s-sure," stuttered Xara as he gently grabbed her elbow.

"Before you leave I'd like to go over the rules for my house," drawled Kaelen as he lifted the black roll off the brownish pink colored meat.  "Why does this taste so bad," muttered Kaelen staring down at the meat in disgust.

"I don't know," snapped Anthony as he picked up a piece and sniffed it.  "Maybe it went bad after the crystals blew."

Kaelen threw the bread down on the plate as he leaned back in the chair, "What do you mean the crystals blew?"