Chapter Forty Nine

Chapter Forty Nine

Silver District - The Ward Residence

Kaelen watched as Ruby and her gaggle of friends helped Kimmy out of the parlor before he addressed anyone left in the room.  "Thanks for coming but I have work to do."  He arched an eyebrow at Kevin and Lucas, "I'm assuming I don't need to see you out?"

"Nope," smirked Kevin before he disappeared.

Lucas shook his head. "I thought you might want to talk about Kayla leaving in a huff," Lucas stood up and looked from Kaelen to Xara.  "But it seems that you'd rather talk about the results of that little game."

Kaelen pressed his lips into a thin line and watched Lucas walk out of the room.   Kaelen waited until the door was firmly closed behind Lucas before he beckoned Xara with his index finger, "Come here."  Kaelen watched quietly as Xara slowly walked toward him.

Kaelen stared down at the top of Xara's red hair before he gently cupped her chin and lifted her head until their eyes met.  "Can you please tell me what 100.25% would feel like?"

Xara's cheeks flushed red and she shook her head.

Kaelen touched a strand of her curly red hair and tested its weight, "Can you show me what it feels like?"

"I -," sighed Xara as she met his eyes again.  "I-I -."

Kaelen stepped them into her downstairs bedroom.  He pushed her up against the wall; his hand gently caressed her cheek.  "I am very interested to know what that could possibly feel like."  Kaelen played gently with her hair, "Won't you show me?"

Xara stared into his hazel eyes and nodded, "I-I can try."

Kaelen lifted a red curl and kissed it gently.  His breath fanned over her face and he watched her eyelashes fluttered over her cheeks. "I'm willing to accept that," mumbled Kaelen.

Xara pressed her cheek against his hand and opened her green eyes to stare into Kaelen's hazel ones.  "Your eyes are so beautiful," whispered Xara in amazement as gold flecks swirled in the hazel depths.

A smile pulled at Kaelen's lips and he leaned closer to her trapping her in the circle of his arms, "You like my eyes?"

Xara quickly looked away and nodded, her hair slipped from his fingers as she moved, "If I didn't see my demise mirrored in them I'd like them more."

Kaelen lips touched her hair and he inhaled the sweet smell of wisteria and orange blossoms, "I'd never kill you because that would mean I'd be letting you go."

"Why do you do that," asked Xara.

Confused, Kaelen played with her hair, "Do what?"

"You're always touching, kissing and smelling my hair," whispered Xara.

"I like it," he whispered.  Kaelen tangled her hair in his hand and pulled it toward him gently.   "It's smell, its texture, its color -."

"Ruby had her hair dyed the same color and uses the same shampoo now," stated Xara a little confused.

"She did," asked Kaelen shocked.  He wrapped her hair around his hand and pulled her head back to stare into her vivid green eyes.

Xara nodded as far as his tight grip world allow, "She also had her eyes turned emerald green."

"Really? I never noticed" mumbled Kaelen.

Xara smiled shyly before she caught herself and blanked her expression.  "You shouldn't say things like that to me -."