71

Betty had came home from spending time with Peter

Betty had came home from spending time with Peter. Her boyfriend was dealing with a lot at the moment, and she knew she needs to be there for him this time. As Betty stepped inside her home, she noticed that something was off.

"Mom," Betty says.

She hears some sobs. Betty closes the front door and steps from the living in the direction of the kitchen -- which is where she found her mom. She sees her mom hovering above a dead body, blood everywhere.

"What- What happened?" Betty asks in utter shocked.

Alice looks at Betty, "No, no, don't come any closer. Don't touch anything." She stammers, "He- He tried to hurt me and Chic, your brother."

Betty moved to the house phone -- which gained her mother's attention.

"What are you doing?" Alice asks.

"I'm calling the police!" Betty yells.

Alice shakes her head, "No, don't do that. Do not do that!" She yells.

Betty looks at her mom, "Mom, there's a man on our floor!"

"If the police come, they're gonna take Chic away from me and I won't let that happen again." Alice said.

Betty tries to reason with her mom, "If it was self-defense-," She looks at her mom, "It was self-defense, right?

Alice nods, "Yes, of course it was." Alice then shakes her head, "But it won't matter."

Betty looks from the body to her mom, "What do we do?" She asks.

Alice motions Betty to the stairs, "Just go to your room. You didn't see anything."

Betty protests, "Mom, let me help you."

Alice shakes her head, "No, honey. It's better if you're not involved."

Just then the phone that Betty was still holding began to ring. Everything felt slowed down as Betty and her mom looked at the phone.

"It's dad," She says.

"Don't answer it." Alice said.

Betty looks at her mom, "He might come by if we don't answer."

"Fine, but act normal." Alice said.

Betty answers the phone, "Hi, dad. What's up? Oh, okay. I'll see you in a bit." She said and hung up.

Alice looks at her daughter in worry, "Please tell me he's not coming here." She says.

"Uh, he needs toiletries. He says he doesn't want to get into a fight with you." Betty said.

"Betty-!" Alice yells.

"Mom, we don't know how much time we have." Betty says, "Please just let me help you."

And just like that one reckless moment, the lives of the two Cooper women were changed -- forever. They were a mother who was longing to protect her daughter, and a daughter who wanted to protect her mother. Nothing more and nothing less.