69

"So why don't you start from the beginning, Peter?" Hiram said

The two were sitting in Hiram's study. Peter was nursing a cool glass of water in his hands. Hiram noticed the red mark on the boy's face beginning to be visible.

Peter looks up from the glass, "I was just working on my book report, and my dad wanted to have a conversation."

Hiram nods.

The boy looks away again. Peter was still a bit shocked from this -- his own father had slapped him. He had never thought this would've happened.

"He wanted to talk about how he didn't like being here at the Pembrooke." Peter said.

Hiram pretended to act shocked, "May I ask why?" He asks.

Peter fidget for a moment, unsure if he should even tell Hiram this. Sure, he trusts Hiram. Hiram hasn't given Peter a reason not to trust him. That and he's really close to Veronica -- so how would that look if he didn't trust her father after all he's trying to be a family man again.

"Peter," Hiram spoke softly, "You can trust me."

Peter looks up and Hiram again, "He said that he doesn't want to be here under the Lodge's eye. He said how- how Lodges always want something in return." He said.

Hiram shakes his head, "Ah Tony," He sighs, "He takes me offering to buy him out of debt as some sort of underlining plot? I should be shocked and yet I'm not."

Peter looks at Hiram confused, "Buy him out of debt? What?" He asks.

Hiram knew Tony hadn't told Peter this. He even knew that the man hadn't even told his wife this as well. A mental smile appeared on Hiram, but visibly the man leans forward giving Peter a serious look.

"The aftermath of the lawsuit really did a number on the business," Hiram said, "So bad that your father would've been forced to sell it to the bank."

Peter sat there in utter shock -- he hadn't heard this before.

"I had heard about it from a buddy of mine in New York," Hiram said, "I made Tony a deal. I'd buy the company from him in order to save himself and the business."

Peter looks at Hiram, "You own my father's company?"

Hiram nods, "For the time being. I didn't want what happened to me to happen to a friend- even if he doesn't see me as such." He said.

Peter frowns and then looks from the floor to Hiram, "Why does my dad think of you as a bad person then?" Peter asks.

Hiram sighs, "Maybe because that's how Howard Lockhart raised him." He said.

Peter gives off confused expression -- the second time Hiram spoke of Peter's grandfather. Peter looks down and frowns.

"I don't know about him- my dad never talks about him. And- And I want to know why." Peter says.