From Protector To Lady Chapter 27

My body was tingling as I followed the man bearing the message into the hall, my mood holding nothing but frustration and annoyance.

"Enough, what is it?" I barked.

"The king has recently been subjected to a number of threats from the remaining raiders. They have been sending word demanding that the king send supplies or they will attack and overtake the palace," the man spoke quickly but clearly.

"That's impossible!" I barked. "Their remaining numbers are nearly nonexistent; they do not have the strength to pose any type of attack. They are just hoping to intimidate him to try and get supplies from him because they are struggling to survive on their own. Certainly the king knows that."

"I do not know, he did not say. I was just told to inform you of the situation and that if it worsens, you will be summoned to the palace to speak to the king himself."

"Is that all?" I growled, my mood growing increasingly darkening by the moment.

"Yes, that is all," the man nodded as he bowed quickly.

"Then leave," I ordered, watching as the man scurried away.

I squeezed my eyes closed and took a deep breath, trying to steady myself. My body was a mix of turmoil right now. From the feelings I had rushing throughout my entire body from earlier with Rebecca to the extreme annoyance and frustration from being interrupted, topped off with the news I just received, I felt as if I would explode.

I huffed in annoyance as I returned to the dining room, wondering if I would find Rebecca still there.

*****

I jumped as the door to the dining room opened and Stanton strode in. I was surprised he had returned so quickly and I was embarrassed to see that I was still clutching the back of the chair, my mind a whirr of thoughts.

My mind had cooled down slightly, but my body had not.

"I'm sorry about that," his voice purred deeply as he stood next to me, his large hands over mine, uncurling my fingers from the chair. My hands looked so tiny cupped inside of his.

"No, no. Don't fret. What was the message?" I asked, keeping my eyes directed down slightly as I turned my body towards his, facing him now.

He sighed in annoyance. "The raiders are being a nuisance."

My eyes immediately rose to meet his which were already cast down upon me. "I thought they were taken care of?"

"They were. They are. There is but a small band remaining, they are making petty threats upon the king and I fear he may be taking them too seriously. There is no way they could possibly have the power to pose even a small attack," he explained, his thumbs slowly lacing along my hands.

"Oh, you're sure? There is no threat?" I spoke, my mind instantly shooting back to the unknown danger I myself faced.

"In that way, no," he spoke gently, sensing my unease.

I nodded. "Well, you know what they say. Idle hands are the devil's tools," I said, my voice trying to sound chipper.

"Rebecca, I don't want you to worry about what I told you recently. With the possible dangers you face here. I will not let anything happen to you. You must know this. Just please, do not go out alone, or if you do at least let me know so I can strap a quiver plump full of arrows to your back," he smiled.

"You watched me shoot?" I asked, my insides warming.

"Of course I did. I have heard nothing but wondrous things about your abilities. I wanted to see for myself. I was not disappointed, you are very talented."