From Protector To Lady Chapter 23

The rest of the journey to Tarantsmo went rather quickly. We left the inn early in the morning, hoping to arrive at a decent hour in Tarantsmo in order to unpack our things and get to know the aides and servants that are already inhabiting the manor. I found it extremely odd that I would have my own aide. I was more than capable of taking care of myself. Even so, I would not refuse the help, in fear of insulting Stanton or the aides in any way.

"We have arrived," Stanton spoke as he looked out the window.

I let my eyes follow his gaze through the clear glass and I was surprised to see a fairly large sized town coming upon us.

"This is Tarantsmo?" I gasped, surprised at the sheer luminosity of it all. The king had rewarded Stanton heavily.

"It is," he sighed, surely pleased with the notion of being in the highest power in the duchy.

"It is amazing," I spoke as I looked upon the many buildings and houses, some fashioned from wood, some from stone, "It has so much character." I saw people running to and fro, staring at the ostentatious carriage being pulled through the cobblestone streets. This surprised me as well...streets made of cobblestone with bright green grass surrounding the homes and buildings. This had to be one of the nicer duchies, economically speaking. I studied the people. Some of them wore very nice clothing, some wore average clothing, but I did not see a single person wearing anything like many of us did back home in Rillanon, nothing tattered or worn out.

"It does. Wait until you get a chance to walk the town, it has been one of my favorite places since I was young," he said, his eyes holding so many emotions as he glanced at me quickly.

I felt as if though there was something he was not telling me, some reason as to why he gazed upon the area almost longingly. Perhaps in time he would tell me...or perhaps I am only imagining things.

I became thankful that I was no longer wearing the wedding dress as I stepped out of the carriage. I was still wearing an incredibly fine one, but I felt much more comfortable. Gathering my skirts in my hands, I held them tightly as I looked upon the manor in front of me. I could not believe this would be my home from now on.

Looking behind me I saw that the manor was a distance from town, green grass, trees, a small river accompanied by a bridge and a cobblestone path standing between them. I was happy to have a rather large space around the home. I was curious as to what was on the backside of it, perhaps a garden, or stable.

It stood tall and beautiful in its position. It was an incredibly large building; it was almost difficult to actually call it a home. It was somewhat relieving knowing that Stanton and I will not be the only two people inhabiting it.

"Duke, Duchess," the driver of the carriage spoke as he bowed quickly before us. It took a moment to realize he was talking to us. A duchess. I would never get used to holding a title.

Stanton bowed to the man quickly before waiting for his next words. "I will bring your things inside to your chambers, the area will be ready in only moments."

"There is no rush, I must introduce Rebecca to the staff before anything else is to happen," he spoke as he looked to me and began to walk, beckoning me to follow.

I followed his long strides as we came upon the front doors. Standing tall they opened rather easily as Stanton pushed his large hands against one of the doors. Holding the door open for me I stepped inside quickly.

I was instantly in awe at the beauty of the place. The foyer was very, very elegant, but held a home feel to it as well. There were rich, colorful artistic decorations on the walls, deep earthy colored draperies and there were two rich oak doors on the other side of the room, assumingly leading to the rest of the manor.