From Protector To Lady Chapter 7

I sighed into the crisp air as I sat upon the bench in the gardens, one of my new favorite spots to relax, looking out among the beautiful fountain. Today had not been an easy day. I had finally taken the time to write letters to my family and I found myself getting very emotional throughout the ordeal. I told them how I was enjoying myself here for the most part, difficult to adjust, but it definitely wasn't as awful as I had expected. I left out the detail of Sir Stanton. I felt I should like to leave out the detail of Stanton from my entire existence.

"Hello, Lady Rebecca," I heard a voice say from behind me. I turned my head and smiled.

"Hello, Philip, how are you today?" I asked as I situated my skirts around myself.

"I am well, tired, but well," he said as he sat down next to me.

"As am I, I feel as if though I ran all the way across Somersham many times over with your sister today, she had numerous errands to attend to. And these blasted boots do not help any," I said as I poked the toe of my fancy boot out from beneath my dress. I huffed.

"I can imagine. How are you adjusting to all of this?" he asked, leaning towards me slightly.

"I am becoming used to it alright I suppose. I fear the dresses annoy me much more than I ever imagined they would. I miss my slacks and hunting boots. I miss my bow the most, though, that I will admit," I said, folding my hands together in my lap in annoyance.

"You are a good shot?" He asked, interested.

"You could say that," I smirked. "I have been shooting a bow since I was young. I am good with a sword and dagger as well, but the bow is by far my specialty."

"Is that a fact? And what would you say, Lady Rebecca, if I was to challenge you to a shoot out?" He asked with a devilish glint in his eye.

"I would call you a foolish prince," I laughed, shaking my head.

"In that case," he said, standing up, puffing out his chest. "I, the foolish Prince Philip, challenge you, Lady Rebecca Morin, to a shoot out."

     My mouth hung open. "I cannot! It is not very lady-like," I whispered, my heart tightening at the prospect of being able to hold a bow in my hands again.

"That does not matter, who will see?" He asked as he held out his hand to me.

I bit my lip as I fought with myself.

"Oh why not, what will it hurt?" I asked as I slipped my hand in his, smiling as he pulled me up to my feet.

"My thoughts exactly. Except I will say, I have been learning quickly with the bow," he said, proud of himself.

"We will see about that," I said as I put my hands on my hips in defiance.

"That we will, let us go," he said as he started walking off.

"Where are you going?" I asked as I walked quickly behind him.

"The training grounds, where else?" He asked as he looked behind me. We were walking in a direction I had yet to travel.

"Oh, I figured we would go to the usual spot where I have seen you train," I explained.

"No, that is just where Stanton takes me to get me away from the clutter of the army and other men training. I think he does it more for his own benefit, he cannot stand to see his replacement," he said.

"Replacement?" I questioned.

"Yes, did you not know Sir Stanton is the Master at Arms? He is in charge of the whole army, training them, making sure everything goes seamlessly in battle affairs. But since he is training me, my father has forbidden him to work with his men."