From Protector To Lady Chapter 44

Hi all!

Here's the next part - many of you were wondering Stanton's reaction to Helen. Don't worry, I didn't leave it out, it's in this part! 

Let me know your thoughts!
<3

=============================================================

I held her, standing there for an immeasurable amount of time. Her breathing was steady and light, her head resting on my chest.

Too soon she pulled away and her eyes, warm and brown, met mine.

"Stanton," she started, her voice soft. "You should speak with her."

I immediately knew she was referring to Helen and my body tensed in reaction. I could feel my lip start to curl as I thought of the woman, I quickly thought back to when she lashed out at Rebecca, and failed,  and the feeling of pleasure and pride when Rebecca quickly responded and broke the wretched woman's arm.

"I have nothing to say to her," I said back.

She sighed lightly before continuing, "Stanton, I know that you harbored just as much anger towards her as I did. I was able to look passed that, I quickly came to realize that hurting her more than was necessary wasn't going to bring me closure. Knowing she will receive justice is enough for me. But I did not grow up with her. I did not live alongside her. I did not trust her as you had. I do not wonder what happened to her, why she became this way. Frankly, I do not care...but perhaps you do. Even so, the woman will die for what she has done, and if you have anything you need to know, you must speak with her soon."

I closed my eyes, knowing already that she was right. Of course she was...the ever logical woman that was my wife never ceased to make me realize things that I otherwise would not.

"You're right, of course," I agreed. I laughed as a satisfied grin found it's way to her lips before she stood up on her toes and pressed her lips to mine, her hands on my biceps.

"I'd like to let my family know the news," she said. I was about to interject, when she continued, "Haythem will walk with me," she finished. I could see the ever-indignant fire burning behind her eyes, knowing she did not want to be escorted, but I appreciated that she offered none the less. I would not feel comfortable with her walking alone again until she was healed, until she could carry her bow, or at least a dagger with her at all times.

I nodded once more and pressed my lips to hers again before she took her leave with Haythem. I pinched the bridge of my nose with my fingers, exasperated. I did not want to speak with Helen but I knew that if I didn't, I would regret it eventually.

I made my way across the room and opened the door that lead to a hall and stairs leading down into a basement that housed six cells.

Soon I was walking to the only cell that had an occupant. She was sitting on a wooden chair, cradling her broken arm, her eyes snapped up as she noticed my arrival.

She didn't say anything, her face remained solemn.

"Why?" was all that I said, my anger towards her already beginning to boil over. I used to think of her as a companion, it seemed a distant past now.

"You deserve more," was her response, her voice dead-pan, void of emotion.

I struggled to keep the malice out of my voice as I continued on, "More than Rebecca?".

"Obviously," she snorted. "She's weak, Stanton."

I laughed then, "Oh? Was she weak when she snapped your arm?"