From Protector To Lady Chapter 15

"What did I say?" Philip asked, looking at me in confusion.

Shaking my head, my stomach flip flopped before I spoke, "I need to find him."

"Wait, why? Let him go," Philip said as he held my hand within his.

"No, I must go. Please, Philip," I said, begging him with my eyes.

"Very well," he said, his shoulders sagging as he dropped my hand.

"Thank you," I spoke quickly before turning towards the doors, pushing them open urgently.

I looked down the hall and not seeing him I bent over and removed my boots, leaving them astray on the cold floor as I gathered my skirts in my hands and ran swiftly down the hall.

I listened desperately, hoping to hear any sign of his whereabouts. I heard nothing but the own slapping of my feet on the cold floor.

"Please let me find him," I whispered quietly, my heart beating sporadically. I couldn't think clearly, the only thing that mattered was finding him. I did not know why I needed to find him, but I did. His face as he left the ball was the only thing I could think of; twisted in annoyance and anger.

"Stanton!" I called, desperately down the hallway. I was answered with nothing but silence. Turning down random hallways, not knowing where I was going I picked up my pace.

"Where are yo—-oof!" I grunted as I bounced off a sturdy figure and landed on my bottom on the floor, my skirts in a mess at my knees.

"Stanton!" I sighed, as I looked up at the man standing over me.

"What do you want?" He spoke quickly, his voice tight and angry.

"To speak with you," I said as I sat on the ground still, now feeling awkward and foolish for chasing after him in the first place, not really knowing why I had.

"What could possibly need to be said?" He spoke as he clenched his hands at his sides. "Is the prince not entertainment enough for you, that you must come and torment me now as well?"

"Excuse me?" I asked, my cheeks flushing. "I will pretend you did not say that."

"For what purpose? I saw you with him earlier obviously enjoying his company, there is no reason for you to find me now," he spat, his voice rough and violent. I searched his face for any telling signs. His light hair sat disheveled upon his head as it always did, almost falling into his deep blue eyes, his mouth held into a tight line.

I clenched my hands around my skirts, determined to keep my composure with the egotistical man that stood before me.

"Will you at least help me up?" I asked, holding my hand out in expectation.

He looked at it in what appeared to be contempt before he grasped my extended hand in his own, pulling me up swiftly and then throwing my hand down as if it disgusted him, an action that pushed me over the edge.

"What is your issue?!" I squealed, throwing my hands into the air. "You have been nothing but nasty to me this entire day, even earlier when we crossed paths. I have done nothing wrong. I chased after you like a fool hoping to make amends when I have no reason to," I spoke, my voice getting higher as my frustrations rose as well.

"You! You awful woman," Stanton spoke as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"What have I done? Please do tell me, Sir Stanton, what it is that I have done that has upset you in such a manner that you cannot even treat me the way I deserve to be treated, I have not done a single thing against you that should make you vex me so, yet here you are, looking at me as if I am the most vile thing you have ever laid your eyes upon. If you detest me, then so be it, but at least treat me with a little bit of respect," My voice cracked at the end, as I felt my face heat in anger, my hands shaking in irritation. What was I thinking? I should have let him go.